• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP AW4 shifting too soon

dan

NAXJA Member # 1521
88 XJ 4.0 33's 4:56 ARB lots more replaced AW4 with Level 10 trans now it shifts through all the gears by the time its going 25-30 mph no kick down at all and no T/C lockup I've searched and the TPS or the TV cable seem to be the main things that cause this. My tps has two sets of wires coming off which should I check? The adjustment for the TV is a little confusing to me Do. I push the D botton and hold it or push and release? The little plastic sleeve do I slide it toward the TB or the engine first then WOT? I've done it both ways with no change there are no clicks when I move the plastic sleeve If someone can Please help I hate to drive this high priced trans if it is not right Thanks Dan

Thanks for the help I guess my Tv cable is ok The TPS has two sets of wires coming off it one to the tcu and one to the ecu? I don't know which set to test for the voltage

The old trans was not running right either but the fluid had turned black and it was slipping etc I don't think the TCM is getting the right signal. Level 10 said it was going to be the TPS or the TV cable. I was not sure how to check the TPS since there are two sets of wires coming off the TPS Thanks Dan

It's most likely a bad TPS sensor. As I recall, the square connector is the one going to the trans computer. You can check if you're getting t/c lockup by driving normally and tap the brake pedal with your left foot. If the rpms jump a few hundred then the t/c unlocked and is working. If it's not locking, you might check the switch on the brake pedal to make sure it's working. It's white and also have a vacumn line connection. The two terminals are shorted when the brake pedal is not pressed. Aside from that, I'd suspect the t/c locup solenoid is bad or not connected.

Finally got time to check the TPS 4.69v on A and B No change at open throttle. Replaced it and it checked good. Now it runs great shifts great lockup works downshift works I guess it must have been the TPS HUH? Thanks Everyone this was a big help Dan

Yes it locksup and unlocks like it's suppossed to I guess the tps must tell the tcu everything it is going to do. Before it would shift thru all the gears by 20mph no kickdown, Rpms wouldn't go over 3000, and no lockup at all.It runs Strong now.We put a level 10 trans in it 3weeks ago and it shifts hard and fast now. It will tach 5000 in no time best this old XJ has ever run. Dan

Back