• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hollow "clunk thud" sound from front end

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've got somewhat of an issue with my XJ. Whenever I flex enough even to go down a driveway or sometimes even when I hit a bump just right I will get this hollow thud or clunk noise from the front end sometimes I can almost feel something shake with it. It definitely feels axle related but I've visually inspected everything and one of my buddies even tried to grab the track bar and shake it around while it was up on a hoist and it wouldn't move. My only thought is that I have a blown RE shock on it right now but I don't know why that would make that noise. Anyway it's a 1990 XJ with the RE 3.5" Superflex, no swaybars on front or back, and like I said, a blown RE shock on the front driver's side. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Collin

I had the same problem (and it's back). I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it, but I KNOW it consisted of tightening some bolts.

My problem was the same as described above, and if I jacked up the front end and turned the steering wheel, it would do it, too. Something was shifting due to loose bolts. Cranked down on them, and problem solved.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Back