• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with shock length?

wildcar

NAXJA Forum User
I am having problems with finding a shock for the rear of my 99XJ. I have a RE 3.5 lift. My kit came with Rancho 9000's but the ones for the rear are to short, the front ones are fine.
My problem is I can't find anyone who really knows what length shock I really need. I've calle Rubicon, Rancho, and a couple of shops and nobody knows what I need. My jeep sits at about 21 inches from body mount to axle mount, but I don't know how much travel I need. I had one guy tell me I needed more compression than expansion, and one guy said the exact opposite so i'm lost.

I want to get rancho 9000's for the rear so I can keep the front ones. Rancho said they don't make one longer for the rear so I have to find the model that has the travel I need and the have the top pin put in at my local shop.

You obviously havent "SEARCHED" ,Im at 6" w/ Rancho shocks!

wildcar said:
I am having problems with finding a shock for the rear of my 99XJ. I have a RE 3.5 lift. My kit came with Rancho 9000's but the ones for the rear are to short, the front ones are fine.
My problem is I can't find anyone who really knows what length shock I really need. I've calle Rubicon, Rancho, and a couple of shops and nobody knows what I need. My jeep sits at about 21 inches from body mount to axle mount, but I don't know how much travel I need. I had one guy tell me I needed more compression than expansion, and one guy said the exact opposite so i'm lost.

I want to get rancho 9000's for the rear so I can keep the front ones. Rancho said they don't make one longer for the rear so I have to find the model that has the travel I need and the have the top pin put in at my local shop.

Have you gotten measurements? The RE Monotbubes for that lift are about 14.5 collapsed. If you want to run Rancho 9000's you will need to get a universal set with loop ends and run a set of JKS or similar bar pin eliminators. I would look at the 99116 which measures 15.00 collapsed and 23.75 extended. The JKS pieces would add .5 inches to that. Hope that helps

Curtis

crazy-apes said:
Have you gotten measurements? The RE Monotbubes for that lift are about 14.5 collapsed. If you want to run Rancho 9000's you will need to get a universal set with loop ends and run a set of JKS or similar bar pin eliminators. I would look at the 99116 which measures 15.00 collapsed and 23.75 extended. The JKS pieces would add .5 inches to that. Hope that helps

Curtis
SPOBI,I run stock mounts on both rigs!

You obviously havent "SEARCHED" ,Im at 6" w/ Rancho shocks!

Yes I did SEARCH!!!!!!!! But I couldn't find the awnser I needed. The info YOU gave means nothing to me so thanks for wasting your's and my time.

Any way, Thanks for the info crazy-apes. The problem I am having is that would only leave me with 2.75 inches of extension. Is that enough? I was told the 99116's or the 99112's would be what I need. The 99112's are a little more centered, I think they would give around 5 inches of compression and 5.5 inches of extension. If the measurments are right.

I'm gonna go to my local dealership on monday and see if they will lift one of my wheels with a fork lift to see how much it will compress and droop so I know what I will need exactly.

Back