• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad fuel pump?

I too am wrestling with a fuel pump, albeit the one on my old f150. Im not really familier with the jeep system. But on my old ford, the pump comes on, when you turn the key to build pressure, but it stays on and the truck wont start. However, the pump shows 50lbs at the fuel rail.

I know this is a XJ forum, but I thought somebody might have some generaic suggestions, on things I havent looked at. Things I have checked: All relays(ECM, Fuel Pump) Engine coolant sensor, Air Temp sensor, MAP sensor, spark at spark plug, also checked the grounds to the computer(Theres three of them, 2 of them showed >5ohms and the one going to the fuel pump/rear lighting showed 11ohms). Everything I read says that ford ECM's never die, but seems to me like it is the culprit. Anyway, thank you in advance!

A noisy pump is an indicator; hard start or loss of high-speed power are others. Check for proper fuel pressure, and do a leak-down test, especially if your experiencing longer than normal crank time at start up.

cwuwildcat said:
what are the signs that show you your fuel pump is going out? or will it just die and your stranded?
There is a 3" length of rubber fuel line than is between the pump and the pick up tube that runs to the bottom of the tank. The tube, which is also inside the tank can/does rot. This can either allow the pump to pull air with the fuel or disconnecting completely, pull only air. You can hear the pump run but not get pressure/enough pressure at the fuel rail.

91xjtim said:
I too am wrestling with a fuel pump, albeit the one on my old f150. Im not really familier with the jeep system. But on my old ford, the pump comes on, when you turn the key to build pressure, but it stays on and the truck wont start. However, the pump shows 50lbs at the fuel rail.

I know this is a XJ forum, but I thought somebody might have some generaic suggestions, on things I havent looked at. Things I have checked: All relays(ECM, Fuel Pump) Engine coolant sensor, Air Temp sensor, MAP sensor, spark at spark plug, also checked the grounds to the computer(Theres three of them, 2 of them showed >5ohms and the one going to the fuel pump/rear lighting showed 11ohms). Everything I read says that ford ECM's never die, but seems to me like it is the culprit. Anyway, thank you in advance!
Do you have spark? Will it start with starting fluid?

Its MPFI, 50# is correct according to the book. Again, I know this is an XJ forum, was just hoping I had missed somethign that somebody could point out.

91xjtim said:
Its MPFI, 50# is correct according to the book. Again, I know this is an XJ forum, was just hoping I had missed somethign that somebody could point out.
I understand then you need to check your IAC or your MAS

Not sure about the Ford system, but I think most MPFI systems are similar. On the older GM systems (pre OBD ll), the pump comes on for ~2 secs, then turns off if the ECM doesn't sense ignition pulses. The 2secs is a set ECM parameter. Have you checked for spark? Just because the fuel pump is always running doesn't mean the engine won't run, but does indicate a problem with the ECM, fuel pump relay, or associated circuitry.

Back