• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot in Houston, A/C compressor, PCM, aux fan, 2000 XJ, 4L, auto

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Ya'll,

Down here in Houston a good A/C is priceless, but I'm poor.
Did a search, still have questions. Anyway...

Last summer I had to change the low pressure cycling clutch switch (LPCCS)on the accumulator. Easy fix there. I just jumped the contacts on the LPCCS to test the switch.

Now:
The compressor won't run in general (a). Unless I jump the LPCCS.
The Gauge manifold I burrowed from autozone is a POS (Gauges not working). I think I have plenty of freon.
(a) The compresser will run if I hook up a freon recharge bottle, but no cooling, and the system dosn't seem to be taking the freon when it cycles.

I'm thinking the PCM or the electric fan is bad, because the Aux electric cooling fan dosn't run, at all, even in traffic and hot weather.

So, anybody know of a probable cause for both the A/C compresser, and the electric cooling fan not functioning?

I can jump the low side switch and get the compressor to run, but the Aux cooling fan dosn't turn on. Shouldn't it always be on if the A/C compressor is running?

TIA,

Last edited:
expansion valve? you really have to get a set of working gauges on there for us to be able to tell you anything, it's just shots in the dark without that.

You don't have any freon in there. That will cause the system to not run the compressor or fan. When you jump the low pressure switch, you're fooling the PCM and it's running the compressor dry...not a good idea.

The guages you can buy at AutoZone are worthless. Get a good manifold set and vacuum pump, or have a shop evac and recharge the system. Are you sure the guages aren't working, or is there maybe no pressure in the system so they don't move? ;)

[ but the Aux cooling fan dosn't turn on. Shouldn't it always be on if the A/C compressor is running?

TIA,[/quote]

try replacing the aux fan relay, if that fan is not coming on. About 20 or so dollars and on the drivers side fender, easy to get to and just plugs in. That might solve part of the problem. Good Luck! ( Also in Texas):sunshine:pS, also look at the little window on your dryer, if it's clear you should be ok on freon. If it's cloudy it's low or out.

Last edited:
the fan doesnt come on until the compressor head pressure switch tells it to, on some year models.

check your wifes car with those gauges to see if they are actually inoperable, or if you just have a gigantic hole in your condensor somewhere and just have no pressure in the system.

Thanks everyone! All the tips are appretiated.

I will borrow a good set of gauges, go through the troubleshooting (yes I have a voltmeter, & a FSM) and post a reply when I know more.

Thanks a bunch ya'll.
Jeremy

OK Ya'll

I got some AMERICAN MADE "UNIWELD" gauges from a local A/C supply co. The Orile'y ones sucked and the fittings leaked so I was loosing lots of freon every time I checked the pressures. Their manager behaved strange when he saw that I got the gauges somewhere else. Not to mention when I rented gauges I didn't consider the contamination possibility of other refrigerents etc...

Back on subject, I'm leaking freon like crazy, fast at first then slower.
Didn't have much dye in the system, but it looks like the leak is between the Compresser and the Suction & Discharge Line.

Is that a gasket between the compresser & S&D Line?

TIA

urbanXJ said:
OK Ya'll

I got some AMERICAN MADE "UNIWELD" gauges from a local A/C supply co. The Orile'y ones sucked and the fittings leaked so I was loosing lots of freon every time I checked the pressures. Their manager behaved strange when he saw that I got the gauges somewhere else. Not to mention when I rented gauges I didn't consider the contamination possibility of other refrigerents etc...

Back on subject, I'm leaking freon like crazy, fast at first then slower.
Didn't have much dye in the system, but it looks like the leak is between the Compresser and the Suction & Discharge Line.

Is that a gasket between the compresser & S&D Line?

TIA
There should be an o-ring in the flange of the lines.

Chasjr1 said:
Get a kit of them from http://www.acsource.com.

Jeep Cherokee (97-01) O-Ring Kit

Part#: MT2600

Manufacturer Part#: MT2600

(Qty: 1 x $6.80)

Was $20.70 with 3 day shipping to Kingwood

$#$*%^(*$*#(*%$ Those wahoos put total FLASH on their home page $#$%$$## SOB...
[for those of us who are flash challenged unix users]....

Thanks Everyone!

Order in process.

OOHHH I can't wait to feel that cold air:)

Back