• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need axle help

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a 78 waggy rear with 4.10's. It's a narrow track which is 60" WMS.

Problem is, I'm military stationed in england and axles are few and far between over here. I know this isn't the best swap when staying with the D30 but I don't have much choice. I already have a HP D30 with 4.10's to swap in.

My question is, how hard is it to redrill the rear axles and drums?? I'm trying to get out of this as cheap as possible, (ie- no money for new axle shafts) and I just bought new ally wheels.

One more the guy's selling the axles as a set (f+r) but if I'm not mistaken the front should be a pass side drop? What about swaping in a Dana 300 Tcase? I've got an 01 with D30/D35 and a 242 if it matters.

I don't really want to but I would swap in both axles and the tranfer case if it's a better idea. Then I'd have to swap out my wheels.

Thanks guys

Oh yea and I did search.

Last edited:
Well I just talked to the guy, and I can get the rear axle very reasonable. I have decided to forget swaping the front and the transfer. I REALLY need to know how (if possible) to redrill these shafts. The axles are on ebay with a buy it now and could disappear at any time!!

PLEASE HELP!!

The question again, how to drill 5X5.5 axles shafts and drums to 5X4.5.

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I was wondering, are there any Ford Explorers over there? Do they exist at all? or are they just not as common in the j'yards as they are over here?
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Yes there are some exploders around but the used parts are VERY expensive and hard to come by. On ebay (seen 1 in the last year) a rear axle is around 250 GBP which is about 500 dollars or at a junk yard there 400-600 GBP which is WAY out of my price range. In contrast I can buy the D44 for 85 GBP which is under $150.

they make wheel spacers/adapters to convert the 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 i think but im not sure. try poison spyder customs

4wd and Jeep Essentials both sell the spacers. ones $99.00 for a pair you'ii need 2 but not to bad.

Um, guys? Aren't Waggys a 6 bolt pattern? I've never seen a spacer that goes from 6 to 5 bolts.

The Ford still seems like a good way to go to me (have you tried talking them down in price?). Just because the initial investment is lower for the waggy axle doesn't necessarily mean the end cost is less. Did you break your current axle?
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back