• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doing the exaust

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
i dont know wether or not to put this in tech or performance but

i was thinking of running 2.5 tubing to a flowmaster 40 without a cat and how should i do the tip?

a stock turn down?a chrome turn down? a strait tip?

i have searched and have only found people talking about there set ups but what is the best set up or is it just for looks and i wanna exit in stock location to

Mine is a 93 4.0 ho 2.5" tube with a turbo mufler, no cat, and I have my exaust exiting in the stock location with just a slite down turn. I tucked it up behind the bumper so I can't catch it on anything and won't stuff it full of mud.....again. Mine has a nice tone and is not real loud but it is louder than stock.

do a stright tip or if you got a little money laying around take a look a borla's tips. They have some really nice stainless ones. I like the rectangular or the one that comes on their jeep systems.

heres the square

heres some others, I think the round one in the middle is close to the jeep kit. You can get these at jegs and other stores.

97cntryxj said:
why dont you put what you like on it?

thats why i am asking to find out what other options people ahve used or what will not work and i will pick mine and i will post pics when i finish tommorow

thanks

ok here is what i did today --what ya'll think

offical flowmaster muffler
2252584_28_full.jpg

removed cat (clogged anyways) used 2.5 tubing
2252584_29_full.jpg

havent decided on a tail pipe yet

2252584_30_full.jpg

P.S.-does anyone know were i can get a decent priced header?

i had a 40 on mine with a gutted cat, and it was WAY to loud and didnt sound great

sidriptide said:
these make great SHOVELS when you have to back down off a ledge...

images

and they do this......

standard.jpg

hahah i did the same thing when i was trying to back up and turn more except there was a wall/hill behind me and i smashed my pipe on it on it bend under my axle. i just cut the tubing above my axle so it was facing down and made my own custom turn down.

I took off my CAT and I lost gas mileage. Put on a new one and it went back up. At today's gas prices, it's something to think about. Just my 2 cents....

cstilesiscool said:
I took off my CAT and I lost gas mileage. Put on a new one and it went back up. At today's gas prices, it's something to think about. Just my 2 cents....
that may have somthing to do with the fact that the cat has an oxygen sensor... it tells your jeep how much gas to pump through your engine and when the o2 filter is bad or not there it pumps extra gas... causing for bad mpg... my .02...

I'd run a straight pipe out with a angle cut SS tip maybe 3.5 in

I have an 89 that has it's O2 sensor in the header so that wouldn't attribute to poor mileage. I've been told by a few people that after removing their cats their mileage went down too. Went right back up when I put another one back on.

cstilesiscool said:
I have an 89 that has it's O2 sensor in the header so that wouldn't attribute to poor mileage. I've been told by a few people that after removing their cats their mileage went down too. Went right back up when I put another one back on.
oh thats right the older xj's dont have an o2 sensor in the cat... my 96 does and when I swamped my xj once I got the engine running agian there were about 5 gallons of water that ran through the o2 sensor and fried it and when I replaced it I saw a very nice gain in mpg... almost where it was before the ingestion of water :(

Back