• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case fluid level

southernoregonxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Just got done changing the fluid in the transfer case and upon refilling it I was only able to get about 1.5 quarts in before it started coming out the fill hole. I warmed the fluid like the Hanes manual says and I know I let all of it drain before refilling it. The manual says it should take 3 quarts I think...so any ideas?

The only thing that I know it could be is that I havent had a chance to drive it much after filling it. I took it a block down the road, back up and turned around and came back and checked the level and had to add about .25q....

I have the t-case dropped the 1" for my lift....would this have anything to do with it? Thanks for the help.....

so you drained it completey? try to search , i remember a post of this nature. IIRC the 242 holds more ATF than the 231, park slightly down hill , and fill it till it runs out. ull be fine
next time ?s like this, post up in OEM. more help there..

Last edited:
southernoregonxjer said:
...... like the Hanes manual says.....

Buy a Chiltons. I find that they provide better info for a specific vehicle, rather than a veriety. The Haynes I have for the F350 covers all trucks, and really never goes into detail about the 460.

You should use more than 1.5 quarts to fill it back up. The 231 takes 2.2 quarts and the 242 takes 3.0 quarts per the owners manual.

skyjackedxj96 said:
next time ?s like this, post up in OEM. more help there..

Yeah, I debated which forum to use...but I thought that the drop of the tcase might have had something to do with it.....

On a different subject, I also drained and filled my diff's the other night. The rear one sets at more of and angle now that I put the lift on, so should I fill it more than the manual specs?

i dont understand your question. mine is shimmed up, so i just park on a down slope when i fill it. my 44 has a bad seal, so i check it often

Back