• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive train clunk

oldebrush

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 Cherokee Loredo, 4.0 HO, automatic, 2wd. It has been idling kind of fast, around 1000 - 1100, and when I come to a stop the engine seems to be still pulling, like the trans has not yet shifted back to 1st gear, and when I release the brake to go again there is a very noticable clunk coming from somwhere in the drivetrain. I have checked the engine for vacuum leaks, checked the rearend for play, checked motor mounts too and found nothing wrong, so far. I looked for binding spring leaves, loose shocks or mounts, and even looked over all the brakes. As to the idle speed, I have not touched any idle sensors or adjustments yet. Where should I look next?

Thanks but, I have checked them, and the driveshaft spline, and the companion flange on the rearend, and just about everything else I can think of. This makes me think it is almost certainly associated with the high idle problem. You know, the way an automatic trans acts when you come to a stop with your foot still on the throttle. Thank you again for your reply.

I have the same Clunk it only happens from a stop. When I stop and let off the brake "CLUNK" all the U-joints seem tight cannot feel any slop in the rear end. I have a 4" lift and am wondering if it could be some axle wrap upon stopping?? Any help???

It might be your drive line slip joint sticking. When you come to a stop the back of the vehicle lifts up pulling the slip joint out. Letting off the brake and/or giving it the gas to go causes the slip joint to push back in. If its sticking then it will sound like a CLUNK when is slips. Almost feels like the rear end is loose. Disconnect the u-joint at the axle end and slide the drive line in and out. It should slide smoothly. If not, try a little grease on the splines, or replace the slip yoke.

Thanks,

I had checked to see if there was slop in the spline but not for driness. I will try your suggestion this weekend.

Tony

Back