• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this mena my battery is on its last leg?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
99 XJ Sport with 73k miles never had any issues whatsoever.

Every other day for the last week or so, in the mornings its taking two tries to get my Jeep started. It has always fired up just as soon as I turn the key and it still does it now later in the day after driving. Its just in the mornings it will er er er er er I back off of it and then turn the key again and it fires right up like normal. Is this signs of a dieing battery? Or ????

Try turning on the key and letting it sit for 10 seconds before cranking to build up fuel pressure. If it starts immediately then, you have a check valve in the fuel system problem or a leaky injector. Do the test and post back.

If you turn the key just to the On position for 10-15 seconds prior to cranking, does this still occur? If not, it may be the fuel pump on its way out.

Dave

I'll do the check in a minute about to go to lunch.

So if it still does it, then its the battery of not it could be anything, lol?

XgeekstarX said:
how about you go to about any parts house and get them to test your battery for free?

Got to work.

Kinda doubt it's the battery if it's still cranking properly. More likely, a fuel delivery problem.

If you haven't changed your fuel filter recently that is a good place to start. They are cheap enough and easy maintanece. If it still starts hard have somebody check your fuel pressure. Maybe pump on the way out.

RandyD71 said:
If you haven't changed your fuel filter recently that is a good place to start. They are cheap enough and easy maintanece.

Not so easy on a 99 as it's an in-tank filter. Gotta drop and purge the tank to do it. :(

Well turned the switch to "on" and left it there 10-15 secs. and it still struggled a little to crank. It cranks better right after its been running compared to when it sits overnight and then crank it.

Fuel filter hasn'r been changed by me an I got the Jeep stock at 62k miles. I have no idea about changing it if its in the tank,etc.

ZachMan said:
It cranks better right after its been running compared to when it sits overnight and then crank it.

If by that you mean it cranks faster, than yes you likely need a new battery (Might wanna clean and tighten the battery terminals first tho' just to be sure).

Dave

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing before my battery took a dump. Mines a 98 with 97k on it. It would crank slow for about a month or two and always fire up. Then one day I went into Barnes&Noble, came out 20 min later and it wouldn't turn over.
Called the wife to come and help me jump it. Got it going and replaced the battery that day.
Never a problem since.

bustednutz said:
Mine did the same thing before my battery took a dump. Mines a 98 with 97k on it. It would crank slow for about a month or two and always fire up. Then one day I went into Barnes&Noble, came out 20 min later and it wouldn't turn over.

It's a '99. The battery is 7 years old. Replace it! I've been threatening to replace the battery in my 2000 "just because" for a couple of years now. It's outlasted my expectations by a good percentage already!

Den

CantonXJ said:
If by that you mean it cranks faster, than yes you likely need a new battery (Might wanna clean and tighten the battery terminals first tho' just to be sure).

Dave

thats it then (whoo I thought it was) cause I just went outside the office and cranked it again and it started right up.

bustednutz said:
Called the wife to come and help me jump it. Got it going and replaced the battery that day.
Never a problem since.

Thanks, thats exactly whats going on.

Do yurself a favor. Go get a battery at your favorite auto parts place and swap it out today after work. Its really easy to do. Takes half hour tops. It will cost a few bucks now, but save hundreds in towing and aggrivation.

bustednutz said:
Do yurself a favor. Go get a battery at your favorite auto parts place and swap it out today after work. Its really easy to do. Takes half hour tops. It will cost a few bucks now, but save hundreds in towing and aggrivation.

My problem is I'd really like an Optima or Odyssey battery :loveu: which I'd have to wait a week or so for. I can change out a bttery in like 5 minutes, lol.

bustednutz said:
Well, place your order today. Because from the sounds of your description.....its about cooked.

crap...maybe I should just get a cheapo, sould still last a couple years. I got a decent trip to make this weekend.

ZachMan said:
My problem is I'd really like an Optima or Odyssey battery :loveu: which I'd have to wait a week or so for. I can change out a bttery in like 5 minutes, lol.
Why do you plan on being upside down any time soon?

Back