• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower

brandonmcnulty

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all i have an 89 jeep comanche 4.0. auto with ac. today when i was out hitting the local sand bar on the way back down the roads the mosquitos were really bad so i rolled up the windows and kicked on the ac. (which works very well) and usually whenever i have the ac or heater on it pulls down the alternator quite a bit. But today it pulled it down all the way to 9 volts and stayed there and then after about a minute it just shut off completely. now i have no blower at all. this was about midnight so i have not checked anything. first thing is im gonna check the fuse (im assuming there is a fuse) then if thats not it i dont have a clue. But i have always been wondering why it pulled so much juice when on. Was the blower motor just bad and now she is toast?
Any adviece is appreciated
Brandon

A couple of things. First, especially on an 89, do not trust the voltmeter when the fan is on. The voltmeter is a terrible liar, and the fan, particularly, draws it down owing to poor wiring. So even when the thing is fixed, it may still show lower voltage at the gauges than you're actually getting.

Make sure the fan is not working at all. If the resistors blow, it will still work on high but not on the low speeds. A search should come up with posts dealing with a bad resistor pack.

And of course, it's also possible at that age that the fan has either died or gotten so stiff that it will blow fuses. The permanently lubed bearings are not serviceable (unless you dig into the motor in ways that are not intended), and they do stiffen up. The fan is easy to get at, which makes it easy to test and easy to replace too.

You can get a Multi-Meter at Walmart or other big stores for like $15. They are very valuable in any tool box. You can check your actual Voltage for the car by putting the leads across the battery. So if you set your vehicle up so that the dash voltmeter reads 9V again, put the multi-meter across the battery and it will tell you the true voltage of the charging system.

Back