• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wing window

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a set of front doors months ago, and am getting ready to cut them up for half doors. They have the wing window on them, which I like. When searching, it seems like you can go from a wing window to a solid, but didn't find anything that went the other way around.

Now, since the doors I have on now don't have any(stock), would the WW from the other doors fit in them?

Id like to try it, because the donor doors are blue, and the rig is black. I would like to keep the XJ half way decient looking, so instead of swaping doors, i'd rather try to fit the WW if possible, to keep it one color when the half doors are not on. TIA.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't look hard enough. Read 5-90's post. I feel like a noob :doh:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72205&highlight=wing+window

Last edited:
12GaugeXJ said:
I picked up a set of front doors months ago, and am getting ready to cut them up for half doors. They have the wing window on them, which I like. When searching, it seems like you can go from a wing window to a solid, but didn't find anything that went the other way around.

Now, since the doors I have on now don't have any(stock), would the WW from the other doors fit in them?

Id like to try it, because the donor doors are blue, and the rig is black. I would like to keep the XJ half way decient looking, so instead of swaping doors, i'd rather try to fit the WW if possible, to keep it one color when the half doors are not on. TIA.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't look hard enough. Read 5-90's post. I feel like a noob :doh:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72205&highlight=wing+window

Wow - I'm flattered. Someone did a search, and came up with the answer - and I'd posted it! I guess I've "arrived..."

Glad to be of help.

5-90

Why would you want to do this? They leak... bad and my drivers side never sealed going down the road without two nickels wedged in to make it seal. Thats with 88,000 miles on the clock. The leaky vent windows is why my floor has some rust, and the whole reason I put 97 doors on mine.

black93xj said:
Why would you want to do this? They leak... bad and my drivers side never sealed going down the road without two nickels wedged in to make it seal. Thats with 88,000 miles on the clock. The leaky vent windows is why my floor has some rust, and the whole reason I put 97 doors on mine.

On the other hand, I have a set of wing windows, which like my Class III hitch, has migrated from vehicle to vehicle over the years. I'd put the 95 doors on my 99 if the color matched. Before I retire/sell/crush/whatever my poor old 95 I may end up giving them to my son for his 96. I actually got the windows free from a fellow on the old pre-NAXJA XJ forum, who had removed them because they leaked.

The windows can be adjusted and if they're right they don't leak very much if at all. I always found it worth the compromise because you get a lot of air through them, and if your AC is dead, it's important.

So I say go for it if you like them. Make sure the bottom pivot, where it is spring loaded, is not getting too stiff from rust. Take care lining up all the rubber parts when you install it in the door, and then take the time to adjust the windows themselves, and you may get lucky on the leaks. You can align the glass somewhat by loosening the screw at the top pivot. Make very sure that when the glass closes it doesn't put a fold or kink in the rubber seal. Carefully realign the seal if it does, and if you do this every time you close the window, it will retrain the rubber in a week or two. Lightly lube the mating surface with silocone grease and that will also stop some leaks. If the latch post is loose, push out the roll pin in the latch, and underneath you'll find that the post is hollow, held to the glass by a philips screw.

Back