• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limited slip

97XJ Jeeper

Semper Fi
I have a 97 with a chrys 8.25 rear axle without the factory limited slip. can i swap in a factory unit without modin anything or is there a cheaper aftermarket one that is worth a darn. i just dont want a locker.

97Xj Jeeper said:
have a 97 with a chrys 8.25 rear axle without the factory limited slip. can i swap in a factory unit without modin anything
Because the LSD is a different carrier, you will need to have it professionaly installed because the carrier bearing preload and gearpattern will need to be readjusted. Asside from that, it's a bolt in replacement.

12GaugeXJ said:
Make sure the limited slip you get is for the 29 spline 8.25 which you should have. May require different lube too.

Same lube, just add a bottle of Friction Modifier. I get mine from the local Furd dealer as they're closer.

Last edited:
Auburn also makes a LSD, I've had mine for two years now, works well but is non rebuildable unlike the factory. I have the pro model.

I'm running a Detroit Tru-Trac and love it, but you will have to completly reset-up your gears. I think it was about $425 and a master install kit($90). I set it up myself, but I do them (gear installs) all the time anyway. The last time I priced the factory LS it was around $550 and no where near as durable as other aftermarket LS.

i did some research on the Powertrax No Slip from quadratec magazine and it says that the ring n pinion are not touched so no adjustment is needed anybody runnin this. i would like to know if it is good or not. its a little out of my budget but if it a good product i want to save up for it, yes i have a 29 spline 8.25NAXJA

Looks OK, I just remember issues with powertrax back a few years ago which was the reason I went auburn. Here's the auburn I was talking about http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page7.html
Downside of this one though cheaper is that you really need to pull the old carrier out and replace it with the auburn, that means the ring gear has to be reset up. The upside of that is that *most* gear places also replace all your seals, bearings and such when they do it and if you have all original parts that have not been maintained by you since new that might be a good thing...

Do a search for powertrax. There are quite a few running them. Seem to be fine but you need to read what those who have them say about installation in order to avoid issues.

Back