• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help in va with xj

ugly87xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 87 xj with the 2.5 4cyl with an auto behind it. my question is how much trouble would it be to put a 4.0l? would the tranny bolt up or do i need a tranny from a 4.0. lastly the reason for motor swap is i think i wiped out an exhaust lobe on the cam, it idles rough and compression is no.2-125 no.3-110 and no.4-75. the motor has 157,000 on it.should i just rebiuld or swap?

Good luck finding good used xj parts around here for cheap. The junk yards suck and the ones that do have xj's in them are expensive. Anyways, I'd say just rebuild the motor. Its not worth the hassle of swapping everything in my opinion.

The 2.5l may have the AW4 behind it. My 89 parts jeep had this combo. Might just need a 4.0 bell housing & TC, I don't know. Good luck. JIM.

you will need enough parts from teh donor jeep that you should probably just buy a cherokee with a 4.0 and move your upgrades over..

I have an 87 cherokee if you want it for $200. Its been rolled and has been sitting in a field for about a year.

Hey,
I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with an Aw4 tranny in it. I"m thinkin about droppping either a 350 or a 340 into it. What transmissions would fit under my rig without changing drivelines. the aw4 really isnt strong enough to add like 200 more hp. They make conversion kits but those are junk.

The best way to go about doing a 4.0 swap would be to have an entire donor vehicle with all drivline parts available. You will definitely need the engine harness & computer, the transmission with its harness & computer, probably gonna want the fuel tank and pump also. Also remember that there is more than one vesion of the 4.0. The versions that I know of are 87-90,91,92-93,94-98,99 & up. From 91 on they are the high output models. With all of the work involved I would also be of the opinion that it would probably be easier and more economical in the long run to get a decent running 4.0 and switching over your mods. Or you may even be able to score a fairly low mile used 2.5 for under $400 from a yard as apparently nobody wants them and the are not in high demand. Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.

Back