• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I fix front vibes/pinion angle???

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I have a D30 low pinion. A RE 3.5 lift at about 4-4.5" I just have fixed lowers. I have horrible vibes up front. I think my joint is good, but can replace. The slip is pretty tight. My pinion angle is nasty. I think the lowers made it worse.

What is the max angle the u-joint end can operate at?

If I get some adjustable uppers, how much can I adjust them to rotate the pinion? I mean I would be rotating the whole axle, there has to be some cuttoff point right?

Will I have to get a new alignment after I do uppers and rotate?

It is really bad. My pinion is about straight out, horizontal. It's to the point of considering to keep my front shaft off except for wheeling! I just want to know how much I can rotate it with adjustable uppers. I know it won't be perfect, but hopefully doable. Don't want to do too much cause I have a Waggy 44 going in in the future. Thanks guys

adjustable uppers should cure your problem... when adjusting just make sure they are both adjusted equally and your pinion should be pointing right at your transfer case.... as a general rule of thumb or pretty close... yes get an alignment done... when changing any portion of suspension or steering always have it aligned

By just "eye balling" it. I would have to rotate it up a lot. Maybe I don't know the right degrees of angle here, but it looks like my axle would be really rotated a lot. I would probably have no caster at that point. The low pinion is definetly not helping.

So even half way would be better right? Are there any other considerations to think of? Is rotating my axle going to mess anything else up? steering, caster, control arms, flex....ect.

Any adjustable upper is going to give me enough adjustment. I mean by the charts, uppers are not that much longer for lifts. I would think I need an inch or so, maybe 2". Does that sound right.

Adjusting your pinion up will mean a loss of caster. This will lead to more wandering. You will have to find the right balance but I would adjust up the pinion until the vibes just go. That way you know you have the most caster you can get for you lift height. See my site for how to read how much caster you have now too as you may have more than you should anyway? www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back