• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dual stock gas skid writeup

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Since i put two massive dents into my gas tank when wheelin with no skid or anything i thought it might be time to either buy an aftermaket skid or just use one of the stock ones that came on some xj's.
i came across one for almost nothing and then i came across another one for almost nothing as well. so i had an idea to cut and weld them both together so it will be twice as thick.

so here goes pics and writeup to make your own dual stock gas tank skid.
(pictuers follow instructions for each explanation)

1) First what i did was take on of the skids and cut both sides off of it so it was one peice, the bottom part. the easiest way to do this is sawzall the vertical welds holding on the side so the only welds holing it on are the ones on the bottom, then fold it back and forth till it tears of and breaks the welds. repeat on the other side.
PDRM0014.jpg

2) After you take off the sides there is going to be whats left of the welds holding the side on so you need to grind all of those smooth so it fits over the other gas skid.
PDRM0016.jpg

3) Take the other skid and find the lip that is on both sides of the skid, grind the outide of each lip somewhat smooth so that the other skid that the sides are cut off so it fits over top of it better.
PDRM0019.jpg

4) I wire brushed the bottom and inside of the skids i put together just so there wasnt a bunch of dirt clangin around in there but thats up to you.
put the skid with the cut off sides on top of the other one and jump on it or press down on it in someway so they fit together as closely as possible.
PDRM0020.jpg

5) Now there will be a small gap between the two skids and this can be fixed my pounding the bottom sheet of metal up and they should come together nicely. this prevents mud and dirt and stuff from getting in between the two skids.
from this:
PDRM0022.jpg

to this:
PDRM0024.jpg

6) Now to secure the two skids together you need to weld the lips, but before you do its a lot easier to grind on them a little to expose bare metal so your not welding through paint. you dont have to grind all of the paint off just enough so you can run a bead inbetween both skids. for the process of welding, i welded the far left lip then went to the opposite right side , pressed it down with weigths, then ran a full bead there. i dont know if it helped to weld in a zig zag kind of way but i didnt want the skids to warp on me and make one side uneven or anything.
PDRM0025.jpg

PDRM0026.jpg

7) Since the welds holding the sides on to the origonal skid(the one i didnt cut the sides off of) looked a little weak i ran some beads along that edge in hopes of giving it more strength.
PDRM0027.jpg

8) This is the skid all welded up and dirty
PDRM0028.jpg

9) I wire brushed it and cleaned it off. i didnt go all the way through the paint because i just didnt care to take all that time just so it would look really smooth when i painted it.
PDRM0029.jpg

10) Primed and ready for paint
PDRM0031.jpg

11) Rustoleums version of army green-
PDRM0032.jpg

I hope this helps some people that are looking for a good, effective and cheap way to protect their gas tank without spending the $200 on an aftermarket product.

Im 16 and just got into four wheeling and wrenching on trucks and what not and this is my first writeup and what i did wasnt too complicated but is sort of unique i think. dont flame too hard :D
hope this helps
-Ryan

good job young gipper, wish I had that motivation when I was 16. One suggestion would be to drill some holes on either the outer or the inner skid before you mate them up and add some plug welds to strengthen the span, if I understand it correctly there is nothing holding those plates together along that span which may be noisy and it may delaminate, hard to tell from the pics. Just my opinion but also....good job on the write-up.
Chris

Skullvarian said:
good job young gipper, wish I had that motivation when I was 16. One suggestion would be to drill some holes on either the outer or the inner skid before you mate them up and add some plug welds to strengthen the span, if I understand it correctly there is nothing holding those plates together along that span which may be noisy and it may delaminate, hard to tell from the pics. Just my opinion but also....good job on the write-up.
Chris
yeah you could probably do that. or you could just crank the welder up all the way and blow a bunch of holes through both of the skids. but i dont know if thats necassary though because they are pretty well pressed together, i mean, there arent just sitting on top of one anather. i put it in today and driving home i didnt hear anything, and i have really bad vibes in the rear from a busted u-joint im too lazy to fix. but its not like i know what im doing anyways so theres probably a lot you could do to improve strength and whatnot.
anyways... thanks for the possitive feed back and i hope this hold up in the Rubicon!! :D

Good job Ryan. I'm glad you put my skid to good use and doubled it up with another stock skid, good thinking. Now wasn't that fun. :cheers:

Troy

Blaine B. said:
Welds look crappy.

Of course I've never welded anything.

Also what's the point of painting a SKID? Besides rust....

It's a skid :)

Who cares if they look crappy, al least he fabricated something. No need to bring up a old thread to bash.

Then if you have never welded anything, I suggest you don't go any farther.

Paint keeps it from looking like ass and rusting. Rattle can the scratches/gouges and you are good to go again.

It is a skid. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing, but I hope thye hold.

I don't know about welding. Maybe it's sufficient for something like this but the last time I saw welds like that it was assumed they wouldn't hold long.....

Blaine B. said:
I'm not bashing, but I hope thye hold.

I don't know about welding. Maybe it's sufficient for something like this but the last time I saw welds like that it was assumed they wouldn't hold long.....
You admit you know nothing of welding yet bash the welds........geez kids now days

RyanM said:
haha can't have sig.

way to dig up old news mr. member of all internet jeep forums blaine
I knew sending in that cash was on my list of things to do... :doh:

Back