• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pic of cylinder wall, no bueno

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
This is from #1 all others looked perfect, I can feel the chaffed surface of the wall, it's far from smooth. I have to put my top end back together asap so this is gonna have to hold up for now. I'll have another dd going in a month or so. If I put oil in the cylinders and fire her up then change plugs will it help any. I believe the engine was rebuilt at somepoint, the head bolts were painted and the previous owner said he had it rebuilt but couldn't find the reciept, so the piston rings might be fairly fresh. Will the ring on #1 hold up to some moderate off roading and reving, I was planning on taking a trip in a week.

Does it burn oil? Have you done a compression check? Start there to determinie how long she has left in her before you fix it the right way(if any)

Last edited:
Yes it burned oil I had two leaky valve stem seals, I got a head rebuilt and am about to slap it on. I'll have to do a compression test then.

Judging from the looks the top ring is broken. The large ridge at the top means the engines never been re-ringed in the last 200k miles or more.
If you score that cyclinder any more it may be junk.
I would never put the head back on without new rings.

Thats pretty nasty. But you gotta do what you gotta do...

Back