• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Opinions?????

WNT1

NAXJA Forum User
I have just purchased a set of 17X10 Beadlocks for my XJ. These will be mounted on my Full Width 79 Ford F250 Axles. Front D44 Rear D60. I am looking into the 36"/38" size range. I would like to get peoples opinions who are running these sized tires before I spend another "GRAND" on rubber. I have looked into whats available in 17" and I like the 37x13x17 Bogger. I trailer my XJ to all of the events so road wear and noise is not an issue!!! If anyone has some good suggestion please let me know. I would like to hear the Pro's and Con's of whats out there! Thanking everyone in advance for thier opinions/input.

36x12.50 SX or TSL

Zach, Unfortunatley Interco doesn't make a TSL/SX in a 17" variety. Thanks for the suggestion. I ran 36x12.50x15 TSL SX's on the stock axles and they were awesome!!! Thanks

I'd have suggested creepy crawlers, but they arent available in 17" yet.

Goodyear offers MT/R's in a 17" version load rating E, which is supposed to be a pretty bulletproof tire (i know of one with a torn sidewall, but i'll call it driver error). They are what farmer matt runs on his cat, and he seems to have good luck with them.

-C

Good call Woody!!! I had just visited Iterco's website and they did not list the SX in a size 17???? I would have thought thier site would have the latest info on thier tires but I quess not! Thats wierd. Thanks agin.

Cal...In my opinion, Goodyear is to proud of thier stuff. They want around $80 more per tire over the same size SX , Irok or Bogger???? When your looking into buying 5 of them that adds up!

Why'd you buy wheels in a size that limits your tire selection so much?

WNT1 said:
Cal...In my opinion, Goodyear is to proud of thier stuff. They want around $80 more per tire over the same size SX , Irok or Bogger???? When your looking into buying 5 of them that adds up!

Thats very true, but you get what you pay for. The interco tires will wipe the walls with MT/R's in the mud and brack, but dirt/rocks/sand/pavement/most anywhere else the MT/R is going to do MUCH better, not ot mention being quieter, better wear..

Its up to you, its your car. :) I like the look of interco tires, but i havent been impressed by their performance yet.

Kid...I bought wheels large enough to clear my dual caliper disc brakes in front, so I would not have to grind the hell out of my brand new calipers! 15" were out 16" still rubbed badly 16.5 cleared but suck for a wheel that left me w/ 17's

WNT1 said:
Kid...I bought wheels large enough to clear my dual caliper disc brakes in front, so I would not have to grind the hell out of my brand new calipers! 15" were out 16" still rubbed badly 16.5 cleared but suck for a wheel that left me w/ 17's
Wow, sux to be you.
Like I've always said, brakes are overrated.:D

your tire selection has to be based on what you do the "most" of when wheeling... rocks obviously would be an MTR hands down, but if you wheel a lot of loose dirt and mud in wet weather, SXs or TrXus would do better... you have to evaluate what kind of wheeling you're gonna be doing

WNT1 said:
Everything but Parking Lots........
Your missing out!!
Honda CVCCs (the real Civics of the 70's) can be a lot of fun to roll over!
Rick R:sunshine:
BTW Goodyear disscontinued the 17" MT/Rs, although FarmerMatt has a set or
two still available!! :D

Last edited:
Kid...Thanks for your suggestion in tires?????????

Cal....I will certainly look into those, I had not thought of the Mt's either

Toyo Open Country M/T is available in all of the bling sizes. I've had mine ~ 9 months now and I really like them. I'm not sure I'll do the 13.5" (14+ in reality) width again on 15 x 10" rims, but I will be staying with the Toyo M/T. Snow, dirt, rocks, (very good in the rocks) highway w/ snow or rain, every thing but mud, real mud; not the little puddles we get. I have not yet cut the side walls, for me, that's great.

Back