• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 little rings

hithergreen

NAXJA Forum User
hi, i'm rich from England.just been trying to change the oil filter adapter o rings on my 93 xj.after reading the posts on the site i thought i'd give it a go.the fixing on the adapter is neither a torx nor a hex bolt!it seems to be a hex socket but its so bleedin' akward to get to.
to add to my woes its now raining ,it must be summer and to think we have a drought and a hose pipe ban,£1000 fine if nabbed!

got that off my chest now,thanks.
cheers,
rich..................

Welcome! Before someone else bites your head off for it... try searching before posting questions about something. There's a search box at the bottom of every forum, or click on "search this forum" at the top of any specific forum. Good luck.

thanks for that,more of an observation than a question but i get the drift.
there is so much great info on this site,just wish we had the parts availability over here as you lot.:)

hithergreen said:
thanks for that,more of an observation than a question but i get the drift.
there is so much great info on this site,just wish we had the parts availability over here as you lot.:)

Yeah, well someone was bound to say it, hehe. Searching is great and keeps me from posting something that 100 other people have answered before. It just saves everyone time. Anyway, low availablity of parts and such there, I guess. How popular are Jeeps in general over there, would you say?

anyone seen driving the devils' wheels or JEEP is scorned and treated like a social pyriah.thats what makes owning one so much fun.

If you gents over there ever need any parts from over here, I can pick them up and get them posted.

As a side note. My daughter is in Leichester for another week going to school. She loves it there.

cheers mate,i'll be needing a few bits soon and thats damn good of you.
Leicester , thats up north for me ,drove a train there once,seems am alright place.

hithergreen said:
anyone seen driving the devils' wheels or JEEP is scorned and treated like a social pyriah.thats what makes owning one so much fun.

Almost as bad here in CA - it's not big enough to be a "True SUV" (damn Navigators & Suburbans with soccermoms and ONE KID!) but too big to be considered "efficient" (I still touch 20mpg,) and definitely NOT an electric or a Hybrid (whyever would I want one of those? Can't haul anything...) So, reven in being a paraih - I do! I just don't fit anywhere (throw in the fact that I'm a rough character who shaves and works with his hands, and I'm really screwed in the eyes of California!)

Same offer as old_man - but I tend toward RENIX parts (1990 and back w/AMC engine.) But, I'll help you out in any way I can - us paraihs have to stick together!

5-90

hithergreen said:
hi, i'm rich from England.

I wish I was rich.

Don't think I'd care to live in England though.

hithergreen said:
hi, i'm rich from England.just been trying to change the oil filter adapter o rings on my 93 xj.after reading the posts on the site i thought i'd give it a go.the fixing on the adapter is neither a torx nor a hex bolt!it seems to be a hex socket but its so bleedin' akward to get to.
to add to my woes its now raining ,it must be summer and to think we have a drought and a hose pipe ban,£1000 fine if nabbed!

got that off my chest now,thanks.
cheers,
rich..................

I was wondering - how did "hosepipe" get started?

Languages and names are a bit of a hobby of mine (OK, an interest. Hobbies cost money, interests are free...) and I just don't see where that one would get started? Probably something obvious, then.

Anyhow, could you enlighten me? It seems to be further proof that the Americans and the English are two people separated by a common language... :sunshine:

5-90

5-90 said:
I was wondering - how did "hosepipe" get started?

Languages and names are a bit of a hobby of mine (OK, an interest. Hobbies cost money, interests are free...) and I just don't see where that one would get started? Probably something obvious, then.

Anyhow, could you enlighten me? It seems to be further proof that the Americans and the English are two people separated by a common language... :sunshine:

5-90

Interesting question, and one that defied my first guess. Figuring that the meaning of "hose" as socks or stockings predates that of the water carrying device, I thought perhaps that "hosepipe" came from that - i.e. a pipe that resembles hose, and perhaps the "pipe" was dropped by the parsimonious Americans. But a quick scan of the Oxford English Dictionary, the MW New International First (1918) Edition, and Dr. Johnson's dictionary contradicts this. Johnson mentions no water carrying hose at all. The NI has no hosepipe even in the little footnote section where all sorts of obsolete and uncommon usages appear. The OED does reference "hose" and its obvious plural for water but not for socks, "hoses," as early as the 16th century, whereas "hose-pipe" appears only among a collection of other combined forms, and its first reference is from 1872. All of this suggests that the British have added the "-pipe" relatively recently and gratuitiously to the previously sufficient word "hose," and that it is the Americans who have kept the language pure. Ha!

Oh, I almost forgot the original post. Make sure that the socket is not really a T-60. It's a tight fit for a T60 bit, not only because it clogs with crud, but also because the recess is rather sloppily formed. If you already have a T-60 bit, try cleaning it out with a sharp piece of wire or som eother angled pick first, and then see if you can jam the bit in.

Last edited:
English is a fun langauge, isn't it? After all, if we don't have a word that does what we want it to, we just make up a new one! Then, the rest of the world languages seem to borrow them from us.

English can be one of the most difficult languages to learn - it just doesn't follow its own rules. If the plural of goose is geese, why is not moose/meese? And if house + house = houses, why doesn't mouse + mouse = mouses?

I've got to get a new OED one of these days, but finding an old one is like looking for hen's teeth around here. It only took me two years to find an old copy of Machinery's Handbook (12th ed, in fact) because no-one around here seems to have any interest in anything over, say, four years old.

Pity - there's a lot more in MH 12th that I find useful than there is in MH 26th... And, it explains the math better, I think. The 1940's, 1950's and early 1960's were probably the heyday for technical books - and you can usually tell a technical author who was educated around that time as well, just about two pages into the book.

Now we've got journalists who can't be arsed to use the language correctly - is it any wonder that no-one else does? I refuse to learn "street speak" (or whatever they're calling it this week) - if you want to talk to me, speak properly or I'll ignore you. It's that simple...

Interesting commentary, but not very edifying (unfortunately.) Anyone else care to sound off?

(While we're talking about not following rules, why is it "a pair of panites," but just one "bra." Last time I checked, boobs usually are served in pairs, aren't they?)

5-90

Re: "hosepipe"

Actually, southerners use the word "hosepipe" as well. The same people who say "cut on" or "cut off" the lights and refer to a shopping cart as a "buggy".

Either the OED missed something obvious, or it arose spontaneously in two locations, because I cannot see the British deliberately emulating the American South. Or vice versa for that matter. :D

southerners use the word "hosepipe" as well
not in this part of the south

here after dishes are washed they are to be saved.

I got ridiculed overseas for using y'all in a sentence It is my one vise in an otherwise unaccented dialect, of course I didn't get it right away I just thought the guy was a wierdo.

ex. "are y'all Americans?" reply " Yes, WE all are Americans, WE all go to the American school"

Welcome hithergreen

thanks for the info,i purchased a 15mm allen key wrench and trimmed it down a bit.fit like a glove.it was still a right pain and i've got skinned knuckles but its done and i just hope it stops the leak...........

i thought hosepipe was an international term ,whats it called in the USA then?

i drive american built locomotives[ we call them engines ] at work and the manual contains a american to english glossary!
cheers,
rich..................

Just a hose. Or a spigot (where you hook it up.) Some even call it a faucet - although that brings to mind that there should be a sink beneath it.

I'd just gotten curious - I've also seen it in print by British authors, and it's been tickling at the back of my mind for a while now...

5-90

ok mate,language is a fascinating subject i could talk about it all day!
my 8 year old daughter roars with laughter when she hears the term-fanny pack,we call it a bum bag.

Back