• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny

mileshigh

NAXJA Forum User
will the chevy th350 transmission fit in the xj tunnel or will it need modification, or will the Aw4 hold up to the power of the amc 304.B/c im going to do a v-8 swap and im trying to find the easyiest route to go i am leaning towards the chevy setup

I wouldn't push the AW4 much more pass the I6. I would upgrade the tranny while i was doing the engine swap! Just my.02

I disagree, the AW4 is quite stout. There are people here running with stroked I6's and AW4's without issue. It was also used in the Toyota Supra, and there are upgrades so it can handle higher horsepower applications.
THe problem with Keeping the AW4 is controlling it. Being electronically controlled it becomes a problem. EIther control it manually (www.awshifting.com) or put in a different trans.
IN stock form the most powerful net HP for a 304 was 150 HP. Net HP for a 4.0 is 177 for a Renix, an 190 for an HO.

Back