• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! my 4x4 is a 4x2!!

Samman

NAXJA Forum User
I had my 1990 Cherokee on the axle stands last night ( installing tow hooks) just out of curiousity i put the rear axle up on stands too and put it in 4x4.

To my suprise only the rear turned and there was a loud, repetitive clicking from the front,with no wheel turn!! i put it in revese and the front wheels made a 1/4 turn then stopped and more clicking.

what wrong with this XJ?! is something seriously screwed up? the local jeep dealer want $100 just to look at it. please put forth expert advise. o ya i didn't screw with the vacuum bottle when i did the tow hooks so rule that out.

Kind of hard to diagnose from here, but it sounds like the chain in the transfer case is badly strethed. I had an '89 with the 242 case that did the same thing. It turned out the chain was badly stretched and was skipping across the teeth of the sprockets.

That's where I'd start looking.

More info would help though (specs on mileage, TCase, your history with vehicle). I'm sure others will chime in.

sounds like the front axle disconnect/t-case switch is not functioning properly... not really a good idea to engage 4wd on stands with a disco axle unless you know how the system works.

More info would help though (specs on mileage, TCase, your history with vehicle). I'm sure others will chime in.

t case is 231

138,000 Kms

owned by a little old lady( never abused) who bought it in 1990 for the winter because of it's 4x4, then bought by me so i can tear it up,when i get the 4x4 fixed

Does your front driveshaft turn?
That will tell you if your transfer case is engaged or not. It will also tell you if its a problem with the front axle disconnect. With limited info, Im going with the axle disconnect. I think 90s still had them. If you havent got vacuum, it wont connect.

langer1 said:
You should have a front disconnect so a vacuum line is off or something simple. Is the clicking coming from the front passenger side?

it's loud enough that is sounds like both, but now that you mention front passanger side, i would say that yes, the source of the noise is coming form there

i'm unsure if my front driveshaft turns i'll check that A.S.A.P, i forgot to metion that when driving the vehicle and engaging 4hi or low if feels like it is in 4x4, like it is working, but just can't transfer the power to the wheels?

try putting it into 4wd and driving up your driveway. it may just not have engaged while not rolling, since you have the front axle disconnnect.

Samman said:
yes it does, so what does this mean is it a vacuum line or something?

Its probably that the disconnect doesnt have enough vacuum to work.

redyouch said:
try putting it into 4wd and driving up your driveway. it may just not have engaged while not rolling, since you have the front axle disconnnect.

X2

If you are trying to engage 4X with both front wheels off the ground, the 2 halfs of the shafts will not "sync" and the lock ring will not move over....it will try to move, but if it does manage to "catch" it will snap. Never engage 4X with one front wheel moving at a different speed then the other...or both wheels in the air.

Rev

I had a similar problem the first time I brought my rig wheeling. (Late last summer)

I had it in 4-low all day climbing up hills on loose rocks (nothing serious, the jeep is still stock)

Towards the end of the day, I wanted to see how my 13 yr old suspension would flex and tried to climb onto a rock. Popped it into 4 low. Approached the rock slowly. And when I gave it gas to get onto the rock there was a HORRIBLE clicking. The rear tires were spinning on sand the the front's werent turning.

I'm new to all those, so don't know what the T-case is, but its low miles (less than 100k at the time) 92 xj... driven by a little old lady before i got it.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Back