• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm a CJ owner going to XJ or ZJ. Why an XJ?

mizedog

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all and thanks for you help and understanding.
I currently own a '76 CJ-7 w/ 35's, D44, D60 full width axles and take it all over southern California. It's terrible on the street (no overdrive, SOA, Swamper TSLsx's).
I'm planning on moving to Colorado Springs, CO and part of the deal is that I can sell my commuter Ford Focus, and the CJ, and get something else to use as my trail rig AND daily driver.
So, it needs to do well in snow, have a good heater, hold two small kids in the back, pull a tent trailer, and handle medium to tough trails (I'm guessing I'll have to back off from the Sledgehammer type trails).
So, I'm considering a 5.9 Grand, or a 5-speed XJ.
So, tell me why I should go XJ and not ZJ, please.
A current club member has a very beaten XJ w/ 33s and loves it. He says stay away from the ZJs.
Any thoughts??? Oh, I'm 6'4" and am concerned about head room.
Thanks all for not bashing me. It's really tough to give up the CJ because it's such a great trail rig. So, if I'm going to the "civilized" side of things, I want it to be fun and capable.

You answered most of your questions yourself. The XJ is a better multi-purpose platform, in my opinion, than a ZJ.

Probably the biggest reason I can think of for the XJ over the ZJ is the amount of aftermarket options availabel for the XJ. Not that there isn't support for the ZJ, just not as much.

With a properly built XJ, you won't have to back away from many trails. Sounds like you have the know-how to built a competent vehicle. The ZJ is not so readily built to this level.

One reason a friend would tell is; you get the nice mix of a flexy front coil suspension, and a predictable and flexy rear leaf spring suspension.

Head room shouldn't be a concern. I'm 6'2" and have no problem.

Lots of good info here, if you go the XJ route. Run a few searches for the questions you have, and if not adequately answered, post up.

BTW, Welcome!

Erik

I'm 6'4'' no clearence issues.

I like the ZJ. I like the way an XJ looks better though. I don't think the powertrain on the ZJ is nearly as reliable as the XJ. At least the 5.9 and DC auto trans.

If you get a ZJ with a 4.0 and an AW4... I say go for it. XJ's are alot cheaper though and have more aftermarket support.

welcome to the board.
I'd go XJ, it's simpler, and the drivetrain is more robust. There have been many reports of trans troubles with the 5.9's, and the t-case may be full time that has a viscous coupler to wear out.
You might want to go over to the Grand Cherokee counterpart of NAXJA if you haven't already.
http://nagca.com/home.php

The XJ is cheeper by fare. Gets better MPGs. Has more USEFUL room. (IMO) Is easier to work on. (IMO) Stronger, faster able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Well, maybe I went a little over board.

mizedog said:
So, tell me why I should go XJ and not ZJ, please.

Cause you can attain rear death wobble in a ZJ..:D I just learned that from a friend yesterday in his after he broke the rear trac-bar axle mount..:confused1

I went from a CJ to an XJ, and have never looked back, well except when fully loaded with camping gear for a 4 day on the trail trip, then you can't see anything out the back..:D:D

6'5" here and no head-room problems. No leg-room problems either.
More often than not, the XJ will have the mostly-indestructible 4.0. The 5.9 is a great engine, but as said above, ZJ trannys have never had a lot of luck in the long run.

Is every one 6'5" in here?
My measly 6'3", I just feel small now.
BTW no head room issues. but on the long haul it would be nice to stretch my legs alittle without stopping.

I would say go Xj, You wll never forgive yourself if you get that zj and find out there is no way to get a the 5 speed thrill without tons of work

I have the Ax15(thas the 5-Speed) I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The reason I didn't get a ZJ? Cuz they are fugly, haha. No jk (however, XJs have a better body style byfar...imo). A gal I work with has a ZJ and it has that horrible gold trim that the limited package came with. Man, I hate how that looks. Anyway, beside from looks, I think XJs are the most ideal family "car" (4Ds anyway...). We had a '91 when I was 4+ and my little sister was a baby. My parents said that was the greatest "kid" car ever. We took countless road/camping trips in that XJ, man I miss it. It sounds like an XJ would be an ideal choice for you if you want to tow stuff, throw the monkies in the back, and go wheelin'. Why are you even askin' us? Of course we're gonna tell you to get an XJ. :p

When are you moving to the Springs? My family moved from the LA area about 9 years ago and we've never looked back. Colorado is my second favorite place on Earth (Moab being the first, hehe). So, in regards to that, I would also reccommend an XJ overall for CO weather. With some decent tires, that'll get you through anything CO can throw at you in the winter.

~ Best of Luck ~

ZJs rock

full coils, 4.0l inline 6 or the 5.2 v8 (not counting the optional 5.9l in 98).

what doesn't rock about them is the shitty transmissions.

other then the transmissions, I love ZJs. I had a 94 until an elderly lady totalled it :(

as far as aftermarket support, there is tons for ZJs just like there is for XJs, just not nearly as much in terms of armor, etc.

It's all your preference i'd say. I'd love to build a ZJ :)

muduck18 said:
Is every one 6'5" in here?
My measly 6'3", I just feel small now.
BTW no head room issues. but on the long haul it would be nice to stretch my legs alittle without stopping.

I would say go Xj, You wll never forgive yourself if you get that zj and find out there is no way to get a the 5 speed thrill without tons of work

I have the Ax15(thas the 5-Speed) I wouldn't trade it for the world.
There was ONE year of the ZJ with the 4.0 and AX-15, good luck finding one. First year I think, what was that 93?

badron said:
Has more USEFUL room. (IMO)

Odd, I agree. But it's still odd.

87manche said:
There was ONE year of the ZJ with the 4.0 and AX-15, good luck finding one. First year I think, what was that 93?
yep.
42re is the 6 cylinder transmission (automatic 4 speed)
46re (might be wrong about it) is what the v8s got mated with.

the 42re is a piece of junk. The one in mine had been replaced before i bought it. It still died about a week after I bought it.

It was on it's 3rd tranny by the time I was done with it.

I think you will be much happier towing a pop-up with the XJ, I have heard many people say that they don't like the rear coils in the ZJ for towing.

Wow, lots of tall people!

Thank you all for your advice. Any more is welcome.

I like the XJ for it's nice, square, utilitarian looks. But, I'm drawn to the ZJ for it's motor choice, "updated" look, plush interior (ok don't laugh - this would be a DD for me!).

If I got a ZJ, It would be for the power mostly, but I'd put in a better rear axle (a reall D44, etc.), chromemolly shafts up front, maybe a 231 t-case and 7" long arm kit from Kevin's Offroad w/ 35s.

This should handle grunting up and over the Rockies.
But, I don't wan't something that's overly computerized or prone to falling aport (bad trannys).

If you think the 4.0L is enough to get around the mountains ok, that sound good to me.

For the same money, I could get a 2001 with fairly low miles.

ZJ's dont have a REAL d44.

they have a D44A.

it has an aluminum housing and the regular 44 parts are not interchangeable.

XJ over ZJ - I've actually had both (as well as a Wrangler) - I'd recommend the XJ for a couple of reasons:
- I've had my XJ from brand new and now has 206,000 miles. I changed the oil over the weekend and it hasn't used a drop.

- Stone simple to work on. I'm not a mechanic by any means and upgraded the suspension and replaced the radiator myself

- Jeep made a million XJ's and parts are readily available and cheap

The only negatives I can add about the XJ are:

Steep windshield seems to be a magnet for rock chips, likes to run hot under the hood (many options for better ventilation)

If a quick read of someone who follows the same mission as you've talked about, check out this guy's site http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

mizedog said:
(I'm guessing I'll have to back off from the Sledgehammer type trails).[/FONT]

That is the quote of the day.

Our little XJ group routinely makes CJ guys look pretty silly in JV.

Back