• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water on floor

scooterfrog

NAXJA Forum User
well we got some serious rain this weekend and I have conformed tha ti have a serious leak in my 99 jeep cherokee.

I thought I mihgt have on this winter because the passenger front carpet was wet but it could have been boots.

last night I wen tot the store after letting it from firday to sunday night and there was at least an inch of water on the passenger side floor. driver side was dry (huge trans tunnel)

what i do kow no water was visible on the door panels or door pillars or dash or the front firewall. ( would have expected leaks from those places)

any ideas espaecilly from cherokee owners.

my wife says get soemone to fix it. ( and she is right given the lime I have avialible to futs with soemthing like this) but where do you take a car to get fixed with such a vague problem (uh the floor is wet) body shop?

history of the car. runs great. never spent a dime on except for oil gas fluid repalcemnt (per service itnervals) and new shocks. could use a battery, tires and has a tiny crack atht e base of the wind sheild. (i dont think thats where the leak comes from because the fiwwall and area under the dash there was bone dry..

Last edited:
I also have a '99 and my water comes in from a rust hole in the rain gutter. Upon closer inspection, I seem to have rust spots on all the welds in my rain gutters. I haven't looked into fixing it yet, I just park so my rear sits lower than the front and I'm fine.

my 98 leaks through the newly installed windsheild. i havnt had a chance to take it back to them yet, even thought i think they are just going to give me a hard time when i do take it back. luckily i paid with credit card so i could dispute it if i need to..

Also check where the antenna wire comes in on the side, and around the heater fan mount in the firewall. (Common leak points).

Mike in NJ :patriot:

From another post of mine.....

I suspect your leak may be where the fan blower motor pokes through your firewall, as this is the area prone to leaking.

First, pull your passenger side front carpet back far enough to where your expose the firewall. You don't even have to remove your front seat to do this. Now take a hose and spray your windshield area really well for a little bit, making sure you hit it all. Then check the firewall area inside the cab, and I'll bet you'll see a trickle of water running down the firewall at the base of fan blower.

What happens over time is that the foam seal for the fan blower motor / firewall rots away, and lets water in from the engine bay.

The fix is to simply add some sealant where the fan blower pokes throught the firewall, in the engine bay. Seal the foam area really well. You may have to move some piece of emmissions equipment, but it's only a few bolts and moves aside so you can reach this area.

Also, check to see if you have a wire loom hanging right above the blower area. That's where my water was coming in on my '98, as it was dripping from there straight into the blower hole....

Back