• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP... Engine Died on the Road......

Hopefully there are some electrical gurus that can help me out...
I was coming home last night when I smelt a slight hint of electrical smoke..Kind of like a burnt clutch or brakes, when all of a sudden my engine shut off and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on. I pulled into a parking lot and tried to restart it. Starter tried to turn the motor but no luck restarting.
I looked under the hood and found that the wires (4 of them) coming out of the wiring harness from the fuel rail to the O2 senser melted slightly arced against my header. (Arc burn on the header)

Now my question is, could this be the culprit for the engine shutting down?
All my other electrical seems to work, lights, dash, radio, starter.
Could this have killed the fuel pump relay? Where would I start looking?

TIA for any advice.

Scott S.

In my 96 it's a mini-blade style 30 amp fuse in the PDC under the hood. Not sure where it is on a '92.

(and yes, shorting out the O2 sensor will blow this fuse and can cause your symptoms)

the fuse is under the fuse panel cover. its labelled as engine control system or soemthing like that. make sure you wrap the wires first.

Back