• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 8" Long Arm to a 6" ?

Stouttrout

NAXJA Member #1282
Does anyone know off hand what it would take to lower my 8" Lift? Could I just remove the spacer on the front? Would all the arms work okay?

unless you added a spacer thats the isolater, no dont remove it. why do you want to lower

Rebuilding it more for my wife. She wants it a little lower.

You can remove any front spacers (Mind the previous note on leaving an isolator in the front) and remove any drop in the rear shackles. Other than that, it would be shorter front sprngs and less lifted rears.

So Daffy,

What type of adjustments if any would need to be made in the Arms? It would drop about 1.5" If I remove the spacer.

Also, From eye to eye, how long is a stock shackle? Is the rule of thumb 2 inches of shackle equals 1" of lift?

Dan

I have rusty's 6.5 long arm. pushed to 8 with shackles and adjustable coil spacers. Did not need to change the control arm length when I added the spacers up front. my lowers were 36"or 38" sorry can't recall but the uppers were 16" (For sure on that number).
When I put the 38's on I actually lengthed the front arms by about 5/8th of an inch to move the front axle forward.
Stock shackles are around 1.5 inches total eye to eye I think.
As to adjustments on the arms, put the axle where the tires clear the fender wells(Lowers) and the caster is within tolerance (Uppers). First might want to leave the lowers alone, lower it, and adjust the uppers for caster angle. And see how the tires fit the fender wells up front (When turned). Pretty simple really. there are other things though, like steering gear binding at full flex, but I assume your going for a lower daily driver, so probably not a real issue.

HTH

Thanks Daffy that was all the info I was looking for. I won;t have any steering binding. it had highsteer X-over. i think i am set.

Appreciate the help.

Dan

at my height(9-9.5) my lowers are 37, and the uppers are ~16, rustys junk longarms...

Back