• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need This Tool...

ODXJ97

NAXJA Forum User
I'm changing out the bad oil filter adapter O-rings and I need this exact T-60 torx bit to fit into one of these wrenches. I don't want the whole set, just the T-60 bit... any suggestions?

OilAdaptor%20003.jpg

Go buy a T60 and insert it in the correct size ratchet box wrench, cut to length as needed..

yes it really is, there's almost no chance of getting that socket and a 1/2" drive ratchet in there, not without "clearancing" the unibody rail.
You could try a torx socket with a good pair of vise grips, or a torx socket with flats ground onto it to fit a box end wrench. Or if you want to sacrifice it then a torx socket with a piece of stock welded to it.

I went to a bond auto parts sotre which carries "Parts Master" house brand. There they had a 1/2 inch drive individual socket with a removable torx insert. The insert is basically what you're looking for. However, I think you may need more than that.

Mine was way too tight to use vise grips, and trying the bit insert alone with a 12 mm box wrench, I pretzeled a pretty decent Craftsman wrench. So I welded a cheap 22mm. box wrench to the outside of the socket. Even then, I had to wedge the socket into the torx head to avoid slippage, and use a 2 1/2 foot cheater on the wrench to pop it free. After it was loose, I popped the insert out of the socket and proceeded just used it in a 12 mm box wrench the rest of the way.

If you do it the way I did, and the box wrench has an offset, offset the box wrench inward, toward the tip of the torx bit. I used a flat steel wrench from a Yamaha motorcycle tool kit and bent it, but the principle is the same if you use a regular wrench.

I had the same clearance problem with my torx set when I tried to replace the o-ring set (as usual a simple job all of the sudden became a PITA). So I took a break and went to Autozone and noticed that their (~$12.00) torx set had a very low profile (probably to keep costs down). I bought the set and it fit perfectly (attached to a breaker bar only however).

Bottom line, not all torx sets are the same length so shop around and you'll find one that fits. Here are the all the solutions I've heard about so far on these forums that seem to work:

1. Cut a torx bit and use a wrench on the remaining stub
2. Use an air chisel and trash/replace the adapter nut (not a fan of this idea but I'm assuming it works)
3. Find a torx bit/set with a low enough profile that fits

If you're leaking oil ... check these o-rings first, it's most likely the culprit and is often miss-diagnosed as a main seal, sump gasket or valve cover gasket. Even if you're "positive" it's not the o-ring that's leaking, do yourself a favor and change it anyway ... you may be pleasantly surprised. That's how it happened to fix my leak.

Let's see if this works. Sorry, no digital camera, just a flatbed scan:

Original socket is 2" deep. 23 mm. wrench fits over outside of socket, leaving original socket end intact. I used a piece of pipe as a handle extension.

Back