• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big fuel tank

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hi!
Has anyone been running the big fuel tank for the XJ from North West Metal Products? I have had this tank in my workshop for more than a year, but it's going in next weekend. This looks to be a great product, ti's solid built, has a nice finish, lots of parts included and good instructions came with it. Can anybody tell me how satisfied they are with this tank, how easy was the install?, did it pose any problems when it comes to space underneath the car and so on? It has a net. capacity of 32 gallons!
Thanks!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

is it possible to fab one up , or would it probably be easier/cheaper to just buy one?

I do know of two people that have the NWMP fuel tanks and both are happy as far as I know other than having to make a custom skid plate for it.

I have had mine on for over 2 years. I have been pretty happy with it. It was great to have the extra gas when we took a trip from Michigan to Alaska pulling a small trailer. I only get about 12 mpg when pulling the trailer.

It hangs about 1.5” lower than the OEM gas tank. It still higher than the diff, but it does hit bottom more often now. I made a skid plate for it. It is not too hard to do if you have a welder and a way to cut the sheet metal.

I did have a couple of problems with the install. The tank would not fit with my Reese hitch. I had called the company before I bought it and they said it would fit. I had to modify the hitch to move it down and out a little farther. You need some pretty good Fab. Equip. and a good welder to do it. I also had to lengthen the straps that hold the tank up. They were just not long enough when I got them. It was not hard, just a bit of a pain.

Over all, because I needed the extra gas and it was worth it.

If it hangs down 1.5" lower than stock, did you have to modify the fuel pickup? The stock pickup reaches to the bottom of the tank, but unless they have you mount the pump halfway up the side rather than near the top, it seems like you'd never be able to use that extra capacity.

xj92 said:
On the same subject, has anybody other than Go Jeep done his mod to allow more gas in the stock tank? Anybody done it that runs it in 113 degree heat without gas leaking out? http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

I did this mod to mine, only I bent the vent tube up instead of adding an extension tube. It wound up being about "2 fingers width"(45mm) from the top of the tank and in the 103 degree weather we've had here in Utah the last month and a half, I've seen no leakage or venting problems with a full tank. When the low fuel light comes on, I can usually get another 30 miles out of it, then I'll put 20-21 gals in.

Sounds cool but how much does this tank cost? Just currious..

Tim

569.95 :eek: :eek:

I will carry some gas cans if I need the extra gas.

I've never found larger tanks for newer cherokees. Seems like there was some big change around 95 (I know the old ones had everything mounted on the front of the tank, and my 99's has all the stuff up on top where you would have to lower the tank to open it up). Anyone know of a company that sells tanks for newer jeeps?

Marcus

Back