• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hot air

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
yeah my reservoir cap doesnt hold pressure. leaks coolant all over the place. But no one knows where to get one. and another thing, after flushing my system out(a long, long, long, flush) my coolant has turned to muddy water again. No hot air either(heater coil?) any ideas from the coolant experts? btw-its a closed circuit sys and its kicking my a$$

SUA SPONTE said:
yeah my reservoir cap doesnt hold pressure. leaks coolant all over the place. But no one knows where to get one.

Check out Ebay, you can pick up a complete bottle and cap for a decent price. There are quite a few guys offering them all the time. Search " JEEP CHEROKEE XJ COOLANT BOTTLE". If the cap is going bad, the bottle is probably not far behind.
Does the muddy water look like oil? Also, does your oil look milky? Could be a leak between the two fluids, or it could just need to be flushed a second time. But still need to get that system sealed at the cap first.

Last edited:
SUA SPONTE said:
Dont tell me im the only one with muddy water!

Wow, you waited what, 20 minutes for a reply? Patience, grasshopper.

I had "muddy" coolant in mine, with a few cooling issues. I drained everything out by taking off the lower hose, changed hoses and refilled with a combo of antifreeze and vinegar. At the same time I cleaned out the reservoir (over 1 1/2" of mud in the bottom). I ran the vinegar mix for a week and flushed, and had to clean another 1 1/2 inches of crud out of the tank. Vinegar helped scrub clean the entire cooling system, engine, tank and radiator, removed all kinds of scale from hard water.

Be sure to refil with distilled water.

I'm starting to have a few issues again with cooling, maybe it's time to put a fan on. I took the mechanical fan off several months ago and have been getting by just fine with only the aux electric fan. I have a new electric fan sitting here, need to put it in. Driving in stop & slow traffic at 85* now keeps the aux fan on all the time, but today I lifted the back of the hood 3/4", maybe that will help. Still haven't been hot yet...knock on wood.

I'd replace the freeze plugs on the block and rinse out the holes with pressurized water while you're at it. Replace the rad with one from a '91 up and toss the bottle setup or get a new cap from NAPA (It's on the "Help!" rack)

alright guys- thanks for the advice. new fan clutch and aluminum rad comming soon. Has anyone run into any problems switching from closed circuit to (open?) circuit?
thanks

Back