• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents and TPS

mack

NAXJA Forum User
i'm running a set of Labaron hood vents, i just had to replace my 3rd tps in 2 1/2 years, always after a good few days of rain, the tps sits right under the driver side vent, has anyone made some kind of a drip pan or something? i just bought a 12"x18" sheet of thin metal, i just needed a few ideas on what others have done.
thanks.

thanks.

Should have put the vents to the outside corners like I showed on my site!

I went through a few myself. Until I made some drip trays, I wrapped it in bicycle inner tube. I eventually used some sheet metel cut in roughly the same shape as the vents (actually about an inch larger) bent up at the edges. Pick a corner where you want it drain don't curl the edges there. Use longer bolts to bolt on your vents and use double nuts (or some sort of spacer). The double nuts serve as a "spacer" between the vents and drip pans. Drill four holes in the drip trays that are aligned with the bolts protruding from your vents. Use a third nut to secure the drip trays to the underside of the vents.

The last TPS I bought has a liftime warrenty. I have not had to get another one yet.

PETEY said:
I went through a few myself. Until I made some drip trays, I wrapped it in bicycle inner tube. I eventually used some sheet metel cut in roughly the same shape as the vents (actually about an inch larger) bent up at the edges. Pick a corner where you want it drain don't curl the edges there. Use longer bolts to bolt on your vents and use double nuts (or some sort of spacer). The double nuts serve as a "spacer" between the vents and drip pans. Drill four holes in the drip trays that are aligned with the bolts protruding from your vents. Use a third nut to secure the drip trays to the underside of the vents.

The last TPS I bought has a liftime warrenty. I have not had to get another one yet.

That sounds like a pretty good way to do it, and fairly similar to what I did (someone posted the link to it above :) ) They were a pain to make, but I haven't had any problems with my TPS so I guess it works... Definitely something to think about if you are having problems. One other thing - I switched to wing nuts to make them easily removeable because I like taking them off for trail rides in the summer for maximum heat release.

EricsXJ- any particular reason you scraped the plkexi glass vent covers? i think it could be doable all that would need to be done is running a strip of weather stripping along the edges and making a second set of mounting holes. thus alowwing the plexiglass sheild to be tightened down blocking water from getting in the engine bay.

2000Cherokee said:
EricsXJ- any particular reason you scraped the plkexi glass vent covers? i think it could be doable all that would need to be done is running a strip of weather stripping along the edges and making a second set of mounting holes. thus alowwing the plexiglass sheild to be tightened down blocking water from getting in the engine bay.

Well... I made them with a magnetic strip around the edges but:

1) They don't stick too well when your hood is dirty (they'll probably blow off if you drove with them on).
2) They'll scratch the paint, if you care.
3) Mine looked totally cheesy on there.
4) They are a pain to put on, take off, put on, take off, all the time as you try and guess when its going to rain.

My drip pans underneath look like crap too, but at least they are not in view. I also don't need to take them off unless I want to for wheeling.

Your idea sounds a little better by having them screwed down, but that defeats the purpose of having vents, unless they are easily removeable when you want them off.

i figure if i were to put a bolt threw with a wing nut on the bottom all ill have to do is pop the hood and undo the wing nuts. shouldnt take real long..

if i do it ill prob end up just making drip pans tho

Back