• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do u pull your axle

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
I've been researching on here about doing a rear disc conversion. During the switch you have to remove your axle shafts and i was just wondering how this is done......and am i correct that the zj setup will work with my 8.25 without too much trouble?

redneckjeeper94 said:
I've been researching on here about doing a rear disc conversion. During the switch you have to remove your axle shafts and i was just wondering how this is done......and am i correct that the zj setup will work with my 8.25 without too much trouble?

you own a jeep and don't know how to pull your axle shafts? I am thinking a rear disc conversion may be a little too much for you to handle at this point. But to answer your question... you gotta pull the clips, drums, etc before it'll move

Last edited:
well m mean i have completely redone all my brakes b4 and im always learning suff i mean i do all my own work on my jeep. Did you come out of your momas belly knowing how to pull an axle shaft......you had to learn at one point too.....so im trying to learn now..

when you pull the diff cover, there will be a 8mm (i think) bolt in the carrier, thats the part the ring gear is bolted to, remover the bolt, a large pin will slid out, push the shaft in from the hub, you should be able to see the c-clip in the carrier, take out that c-clip with a pair of needle nose, slide the shaft out, now do the same thing on the other side

oh well, i didn't type fast enough.

that setup will work just fine, you will have to open up the inside of the brackets just a bit but nothing a dremel or a grinding stone on a drill wont fix. i just did this about two weeks ago and its amazing how much easier it is to stop.

shimmy said:
what about some write ups on front d30 shaft pulls?

Remove the two caliper bolts, and slide the caliper off. Take the rotor off, or beat it off with a mallet if its stuck. Remove the 3 unit bearing bolts from the back of the steering knuckle; then just slide the shaft out. If its stuck, I find a flat head screw driver and a hammer will do just fine. Just tap it in all the way around the hub on the outside of the knuckle. The caliper bolts and unit bearing bolts are all 13 mm.

91 Jeep Project said:
Remove the two caliper bolts, and slide the caliper off. Take the rotor off, or beat it off with a mallet if its stuck. Remove the 3 unit bearing bolts from the back of the steering knuckle; then just slide the shaft out. If its stuck, I find a flat head screw driver and a hammer will do just fine. Just tap it in all the way around the hub on the outside of the knuckle. The caliper bolts and unit bearing bolts are all 13 mm.

getting those bearing assemblies off the steering knuckle can be a bear at times... I wasn't trying to be a jerk earlier by the way, but generally if someone doesn't know how to do something like pull your axles, they probably wouldn't be very successful in doing a disc brake swap... As for pulling axle shafts... I had no clue how to the first time, I did it by accident actually on a front 30... oops... then I proceeded to rip the seals and create a huge problem... oh well... you live and you learn

noresttill said:
How did you rip the seals?

not rip as in tear, but rip as in destroy... and I did it by just jamming the shafts back in rather than finessing... and feeling when they were centered... I was an idiot... need I say more

LilRedRover said:
not rip as in tear, but rip as in destroy... and I did it by just jamming the shafts back in rather than finessing... and feeling when they were centered... I was an idiot... need I say more

Fair, 'nuff ;)

(not like ive never done something like that)

Jesse

its not likes its complicated, the worst part i think is opening the cover and messing with the c clips and all. the brakes are just bolt on and bleed.

Back