• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Street Jeepers welcome on Mod Tech?

Are street-modified Jeepers questions welcome here?

• Welcome them onto Mod Tech with open arms

Votes: 46 51.1%
  • Activate a seperate forum for Street XJ/MJ mods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Banish them to the hottest corner of hell for 'ruining' their Jeep

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 11 12.2%

• Total voters

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
This (controversial?) topic is being discussed on the Members Forum.

My feelings are that they are welcome to post away here as it IS 'Mod Tech.' I have no fear of asking questions regarding my 2x4 MJ fantasy project... but most of my ??s revolve around driveline.

Street-oriented Jeeps is one of those things where if someone has nothing helpful to add to a thread, they probably should refrain from comment :dunno:

Lots of the tech stuff (engine, driveline, electrical, stereo, etc...) crosses over to all XJ's & MJ's, so I'm leaning towards having it all stay here on Mod Tech.

Last edited:
A modification is a modification, it doesn't matter if you're going up or down with it.

Sean

I agree with OneToothXJ, a mod is a mod.

I'm a Jeep Snob, so I say a Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep. It is "MOD" tech. Not "Off-road Only" tech. To each his own. Hell, I still hang out with Beezil even though he's Bi-.................

Flowers

I am going to have to agree with Flowers and OT, mods are mods.

Justin

i have to agree that a mod is a mod too because at one point my jeep was taken off-road weekly with 30" muds and skid plates on it, then at another point the front end was lowered 2.5", no plates, spare or back seat with 245/60's on it. So yes, to each there own.

eric

It is my understanding that it won't be a major-league PITA for our web team to crank up another forum, so I have no great preference. I suspect that many who are interested in street XJs may want a separate forum simply because so many people on the mod forum cop such an attitude if a street mod question shows up. However, I'll repeat here wat I mentioned in the Members' forum -- if a street Jeep question appears in the Mod Tech forum I'll do my best to answer it. But I am not particularly interested in that approach to XJing, and so it's unlikely I would ever visit a separate forum on that topic. If other members (and guests) feel the same, the street crowd may be depriving themselves of access to tech info if they set up a separate forum.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I don't care what we talk about here, a mod is a mod. I just hope that the 4x4 crowd doesn't rag on the 2wd crowd every time they ask a question. Like Eagle said, if it gets to be too much traffic, a new forum can be started.

Engine, drivetrain, suspension, roll cages......all interesting. Lights, stereos......boring. ;) :)

No problem, look at Rich in NewYork with his blown 2.8 street XJ. He was always here and got no flack (just friendly fire). Besides we ended up turning him into an offroader anyway!

Hey I like the idea. Lately I have been dreaming of an XJ or MJ 5.0L dragster to run at Darlington Drags Strip. Big 33" Mickey Thompson slicks and skinny front tires. :) I do so love to drive fast! I'm surrounded by inport and ranger and s-10's and thought a MJ or XJ would be really sweet. And fast!

If I had the money I would run street racing mj just because I would like to see the look on their faces when they see a jeep scream by them, so in other words yes I would definetly like to help out and share my knowledge.

There is no doubt that a street oriented Jeeper has the right to post his tech question here and should be welcome. The problem is, will he? Since all he sees are questions about 8" lifts and quarter elliptical 10" lift springs. A Street Mods forum would attract more members and new faces as well as possibly more converts....look at me I have two flavors of XJs now. Unlike finding a lift for an XJ, lowering one is 100% custom, there is no aftermarket support at all, no worthwhile tech info and no representation whatsoever anywhere. With the "Search new threads" option that we have on these new forums, one can see if a visit to the Street side for a topic may be worth his time even if all he cares about is rocks. For example installing a blower on the 4.0 for some drag racing, which would also give the crawler power to get over those boulders. I think we should give it a try, if after a while its proves to be a failure to remove it. Guess how many street XJs will be at the NAXJA bash...try none. If we had a place for them, they would feel part of the NAXJA community and would possibley be there with us in Moab celebrating this vehicle which we spend so much of our life and money on. They could be there for the show and shine part thuse also introducing them to the rock crawlers that predominate the XJ enthusiast community. If we had enough of them, events could even be made for that category of XJ, things like maybe a small autocross in a parking lot, or a drag race etc. Open the minds.

XJguy

i thought about it again reading others posts and i say do it, open up another separate forum for street XJ's. I think it will get attention, i know i'd check it out every day like i do the rest of the forums.

eric

For sure a lot of mods are universal so to speak...but chrome is not a mod...LOL...and I have seen a couple of really nice street XJ's.

Well every one has good points and i can see where every one is coming from. I have a big interest in this since i hope to build a MJ street truck soon. At first i said keep them on the mod board but i can realy see where it would benifit from haveing its own board. Yes most of the events are off road but it shouldn't stop the street guys from getting to gether to go to other street events that are opn to all cars and trucks. I think to see a group od lowered and modified MJs and XJs roll in to a national event would be kool as hell. I'm getting cloer to staring my project witch will be a very fast jeep.

mad maXJ said:
I would welcome them as long as they really know what a "MOD" is. I DON'T consider clear tail-lights a "MOD". It would certainly help to bring some more engine tech in here...

That which is not OEM is "mod." Someone into "euro" style tail lights might not consider faux beadlock wheels a mod ... but it is, because it wasn't OEM or a factory option.

I still miss my speedracer 2wd truck, autocrossing is great fun too. I always have an eye out for a 2wd MJ shortbed that I could turn into a corner carver.......I agree with Rich though, those that see only big tire, big lift, SYE, roll cage posts may hesitate in tossing out a question about HD front and rear swaybars, front air dams, Z rated tires and airbag suspensions. I'd like more motor related speed tech here, as would most of us, I think. I remember when the Archer Brothers ran SCCA with MJ's and dominated! I welcome the XJ/MJ street racer crowd, and if we see enough posts in that direction, why not make a forum for the street crowd? Not to segregate them, just so the Street Mods Tech is easier to find.

Well, this has probably been up for a bit, and there is now a "street" board, so it's probably a bit late - but I'll weigh in anyhow...

The idea of creating a usable, functional, "street performance" XJ/MJ I think is in keeping with our concept of the XJ (and, by extension, the MJ) as a "go-anywhere, do-anything" go-to vehicle for everyone.

While I don't think that just dropping one to the ground is really a valid mod per se, I think that suspension lowering and tightening as part of a total performance package is workable. I see enough "chopped springs" here in CA, which is probably why I feel the way I do. Simply cutting springs and lowering a vehicle is pointless - and if you want to waste money, give it to me and I'll put it to use...

However, if you want to lower your XJ a couple inches, put in tighter springs, urethane bushings, make the tyres a little lower and wider, and generally tighten it up, and get ready for a good "street" engine (and let me help you with that!) then I'll help any way I can!

On the subject of other "street" stuff, I don't think it would hurt for the Streeters to have a "show-and-shine" board for stereos, paint, graphics, tinting, and the like - stuff we "lifters" aren't likely to bother with. However, with all the crossover possible with suspension and engine performance enhnancements, I think that most of those "hardware" mods can and should be put on the Mod Tech board so we can all see what's going on.

"Torque makes you quick, horsepower makes you fast."

5-90

Back