• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake gasket leak

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
ok so let me give u the story so everyone can give the most accurate advice. i replaced my exhaust manifold onmy 97 XJ with the 4.0L back in either august or september with a Banks torque tube. while putting the intake manifold back on i ripped the intake/exhasut gasket on the #5 cylinder intake port. it ripped on the bottom side so i had no idea. a mechaninc told me a while back about it when he tested the vacuum of the intake manifold. my question is am i doin any damage to the engine by leaving it like this? i plan to fix it when i put on a newer 99-present intake manifold but i have been waiting until i have some time becuz i drive it mon.-thurs. on a 30 mile commute to college. i know im probably gettin poor performance and bad gas-mileage from leavin it like this but am i doin any damage? also any tips for doin the swap to the new manifold would be helpful. oh and i would just like to say Royal Purple engine oil and gear oil are definately worth the money i really did get better gas mileage i went from 13.2 average city to 15.1 so i highly reccomend Royal Purple products. another thing thats pretty cool about the gear oil is that it already comes with the limited slip additive already in it

Running with an intake leak on one cylinder can burn a valve. It causes that cylinder to run lean and overheat.

If you did the exhaust manifold you can do the intake. it's pretty much the same process. Just make sure you label everything you unplug from the intake, especially vacuum hoses and injector wires. Might be a wise thing to take some digital photos too.
Make sure you use a torque wrench.

Last edited:
Back