• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls in traffic only after hour of driving

stubby cent

NAXJA Forum User
I rock a 99 sport thats a stick. It dies on on me after driving extended periods of time while idleing. The engine just cuts out as if I had stalled. I have to wait about 45 minutes for "something" to cool down and then starts up like nothing ever happened. A friend told me it was my ignition coil but I swapped that out and still have the same problem. I read some threads with similar problems but they all had auto trannys and it didn't sound like anything of theres was overheating. Does anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with?

I had a problem with an overcharged AC system popping the PSV and my modified open-element air cleaner causing it to choke out at stop lights. Most probably not your problem though, I'd check into the basic engine electronics if you actually have to wait for it to cool off before it will fire off again, including fuel pump MAP, and CPS, also check engine ground.

Any diagnostic codes?

I had a problem with a 93 that lost an injector when it heated up due to a bad wiring harness splice, but at least it threw a code (not a very helpful one, but it was something).

Have you tried to find out for sure whether the problem is with ignition or fuel? That would be a good first step.

Pull the codes and see what they say. Check out the CPS.

Went to the stealership today and you guys were right. The CPS seems to be malfunctioning. They wanted $110 for the part. Do any of you know were I can pick one up for cheaper and just as reliable as OEM? Thanks for the help.

stubby cent said:
Went to the stealership today and you guys were right. The CPS seems to be malfunctioning. They wanted $110 for the part. Do any of you know were I can pick one up for cheaper and just as reliable as OEM? Thanks for the help.

I think I paid less than half that for a NAPA one a few years ago, and it seems to have been fine since it has not failed in the last 6 years or so. But since it never failed, I haven't checked prices there recently.

careful with the aftermarket ones...a couple from the discount stores havent been as well made as dealership ones...one would read the signal right at low rpms but start missing pulses at higher rpms making the engine feel like it had a rev limiter...I'd spend the extra bucks on the OEM one just to be safe...last thing you need is to be stalling out in traffic.

yellowxj said:
careful with the aftermarket ones...a couple from the discount stores havent been as well made as dealership ones...one would read the signal right at low rpms but start missing pulses at higher rpms making the engine feel like it had a rev limiter...I'd spend the extra bucks on the OEM one just to be safe...last thing you need is to be stalling out in traffic.

Of course the stealership might be buying their parts from NAPA.....

Back