• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAL Questions

XJEEPER04

NAXJA Forum User
ok, im putting a 3inch rustys add a leaf on my 86 cherokee and ive got the rear end dropped. My question is how do i put the spring back together? I cut the spring straps to get the pack apart and they only gave me 2 new ones with the new lift? so do i only put one new strap on each side? when there was 3 on each side? this thing just confuses the hell out of me and rustys directions arent werth a crap......so any help is awesome

PS also if anyone has pics of there's together that would be great

The straps are not used to pull the pack together, only to hold the leaves so they don't spread out laterally (like a fan) when driving. To assemble, put the new center pin in place and start the nut on the end. Get one or two large C-clamps and use those to pull the pack together. As you crank down on the clamp(s), you may need to tap the leaves lightly with a hammer to keep them straight and aligned, although the center pin will take care of most of that.

Once you have the C-clamp(s) good and tight, tighten up on the center pin nut. Then you can install the retainer strap(s). Remove C-clamps, re-install axle and torque u-bolts and you're done ... almost.

After you've driven it for 50 or 100 miles, jack it up and recheck the torque on the u-bolts. NOW you're done.

Be careful taping the center pin. I just helped a guy her do a Rusty's AAL and we toasted two bolts. Had to go to NAPA and get some spares. Those center pins are not Grade 8, more like Grade 2.

You should not be using the center pins to pull the leaves together. Pull them together with C-clamps, then use the center pin to hold it. I'm sure there's a recommended torque in the FSM but I don't recall what it is. It ain't a lot -- it's a small bolt.

Back