• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

info on stroker kits

tih'may

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i got a question. do any of you know a good and affordable maker for the stoker kit. if so, please send me some info either on this thread or email it to me at [email protected]. it would be very much appriciated. i have to get started on my project a.s.a.p. thanks

[email protected]

www.accuratepower.com

Hesco is also good, but very expensive.

Clifford Performance Research -- no comment

thanks for the info. i needed it bad. this winter is coming fast and i want be able to have a bit more power behind me. thanks again.

if anyone has anymore info, pleas send it my way. thanks.

Accurate Power is really all you need. I run one of Accurate's kits. I checked out all the alternatives before I sent my order and Accurate had the best deals by far.

If you want the best Stroker info on the net check out The Stroker Group on Yahoo

Bones :skull1:

Dumb questions?

How much $$$$ (internal engine parts, machining and assembly labor, periphial parts like injectors, exhaust, TB, ignition upgrades) are you folks with stroker 4.0s ending up spending???

How much extra power do these typically produce, and has anyone dyno'd theirs, or actually ran one to the end of it's service life? IE for the extra power, how much of the famous 4.0 reliability is traded off?

I realize that a beefed up 4.0 is a simple swap in deal (once the engine is bought & built) but is it cost effective vs a swapped in V8? (new 330 HP SBC complete/less exhaust for like $3200 IIRC)

Don't get me wrong, I admire those that have built their 4.0s up into really strong engines...just wondering if it is a wise course of action to emulate...

With 4.56:1 in the axles for 33" and the stock 2.72 low range gear, I've never felt that I was underpowered in my 200k, stock spec, non-HO 4.0 :dunno: maybe I just don't know what I'm missing :)

Woody,
I'll try to answer these as if I didn't have to re-do the head and cam because of a poor engine builder...

How much $$$$ (internal engine parts, machining and assembly labor, peripheral parts like injectors, exhaust, TB, ignition upgrades) are you folks with stroker 4.0s ending up spending?

The kit I put together from Mike had a lot of "upgrades" in it. I had Total seal rings, a Cloyes double roller (true roller) timing chain, SS valves, main cap girdle spacers that were custom at the time, the 30lb Ford injectors, an air intake set up, rods weight matched and ARP bolted, and the like. I also got as many of the routine parts as I could (rocker arms, seals, gaskets etc). Mike had better prices on Mopar stuff than my local Dealer so I also purchased my head bolts, manifold bolts etc through him as well.

My bill at Accurate ran around $2200

Now add to that machining and assembly costs and the new valve springs, retainers and keepers to go with and new pushrods because the ones that came from Accurate wouldn't work with the head work I had done and I dropped about another $1000 there.

Installation in the XJ and finishing the motor ran about another $650-750 but that includes a DEI wrapped Borla SS header (picked up at about half cost new but second hand), a HESCO water pump, all new sensors (cps, tps, manifold charge temp, map, water temp, oil pressure), a new fuel pressure regulator, and a new radiator (GDI that I later replaced cause it was crap)
I also had to have the AC recharged because of pulling around on the lines to much I guess (R12 runs about $80/lb around here) but I am not figuring that into the equation. I have not replaced my Throttle body but plan to with one of RE's this winter.

How much extra power do these typically produce, and has anyone dyno'ed theirs, or actually ran one to the end of it's service life? IE for the extra power, how much of the famous 4.0 reliability is traded off?

Mike and I figured my original configuration to be worth about 250 ft pounds of torque off idle and roughly 275-280 HP max. I did not have it dyno'ed but I would like to put it on one to see what I'm turning at the rear wheels someday. I do know it can walk a standard 4.0 in the mountains. I left Richard G up a pass a year ago in CO. I was pulling my pack trailer, kicked back on cruise with the air on and didn’t even know we were climbing the pass until we went by the sign. When I checked Richard wasn't to be seen and he had had his foot to the floor :D. I also went off and left another XJ (stock and unknown driver) coming home from Moab last year coming up from Vail into Denver. He tried but just couldn't run with the big dog :cool:. Oh, and I kicked a 4.3 S-10 Extreme's butt in my one and only drag race with it. I think I hurt the kid’s feelings but he has not tried me since :rattle:.
As for the reliability, my problems are documented but I do not feel this is the normal for a stroker. My problems with the head were the result of poor workmanship by the builder. I really think the cam-bearing problem I had was related to the head problem and rebuild/reinstall of the new head.

I expect the life of this engine to be no worse that those that it was built from. 4.0's and 4.2 easily go past 150-175K.

I realize that a beefed up 4.0 is a simple swap in deal (once the engine is bought & built) but is it cost effective vs. a swapped in V8? (new 330 HP SBC complete/less exhaust for like $3200 IIRC)

I think this depends on what you want from your rig. For me the reliability, originality, increased longevity over the V8, and low-end torque of the long rod stroker was what I wanted. If you go the V8, you have to figure in the new tranny or adapter, the added costs of a custom radiator, adapters for this and that, and added costs and time of installation. Not something I wanted to mess with. Granted to get my 4.6 to turn the 330 HP of the V8 I would also have to run a blower (another $4-5K or so) so again it depends on what you want to accomplish.

With 4.56:1 in the axles for 33" and the stock 2.72 low range gear, I've never felt that I was underpowered in my 200k, stock spec, non-HO 4.0 maybe I just don't know what I'm missing

I built mine because I needed more power at higher elevation and because after frying a rod bearing I needed a new crank and rods anyway. I convinced myself that it wouldn't be "that much more" to do the stroker over what I would have put into a straight 4.0 as I would have done many of the upgrades anyway. As for the power at low elevations, I think the stock 4.0 does great (especially in low range) but it never hurts to have more power. As it stands, I think I'm geared to low on the road for this engine. I am running the same 4.56/33's you are, but if I get on it I run through the gears too fast IMO. I will MTL stay with 4.56's when I go to 35's unless I want lower gearing off road.

I finally decided that I want to have more power. I've been happy so far because it's not a daily driver, but now I'm tired of running so much of the time in lower gears. Most of the time when I come home from the desert, or driving in the afternoon up the valley, I'm hitting a headwind and it's pedal to the metal and dropping out of OD. Also, I've been hitting Moab and CO regularly and I have it floored way to much of the time since the highway is constantly up and down. Of course, I'm trying to cruise between 70 and 80 because it's a long drive. I've also run with friends that have strokers, like Bones in CO last year, and they just walk away from me with no effort.

I've never wanted more power off road, except in the dunes, but I'm definitely ready for more power on the highway. We've also started sort of racing back to camp in the desert after finishing the day's trail, and I have to be able to keep beating CRASH. :D

Here's what I'm doin...

Your best route is to find a running 4.0 and build it up on the side, and do it slowly carefully making sure that what you buy is going to work with your planned setup...definately do a LOT of research over at the strokers group at yahoo...those guys know their strokers! Most of my goodies are from Accurate and mike does know strokers...word of warning: Accurate did build a complete motor for a local jeeper that went kaboom but they did rebuild at their cost but again..major down time and the hassle of removing and re-installing...Buy a kit (or needed parts) and have a local reputable shop build it for you. once you find a nice 258 crank you're on your way! I decided to go the long rod/custom piston route just because I like shiny expensive bits of aluminum...
Cost wise? Hell I dunno...nor will I say...my wife might read this.
Here's my recipe:

pre HO 4.0 block bored .060

258 crank

pre HO 4.0 connecting rods

custom forged aluminum pistons w/23cc dish 1.392 compression ht.
+ .010 deck on a stock 4.0 block = .042 quench (factory gasket)
.930 pin dia.

Camshaft: (Intake/Exhaust) 254°/262° adv. dur.,
210°/218°dur. @ .050" lift, .477"/.493" valve lift, 1000-5200rpm,
111° lobe separation

early HO head w/DIY minor polish & porting

early HO intake & 62mm bored throttle body (I really want the flometrics 68mm)

FoMoCo 24# (28#?) injectors

Melling hi-volume oil pump

Cloyes Tru-roller timing chain

This is all being run by a '88 vintage Renix ECU....

I was thinking about roller lifters but all I've heard is that it really doesn't make that much a difference... So I'm probably gonna go with stock valves,springs and lifters

estimate power gains? hmm...I'll let ya know

Gil Bullykatz

Here's my recipe for this winters project.

4.2 crank,

4.2 con rods,

26 cc dish pistons,

.028 block deck,

.010 head plane,

.052 headgasket

This will yield 9.04 to 1 compression and .0665 quench (.007 better than stock).

I will be running a bored Renix TB, and 24 lb injectors. I will likely get the Venolia forged piston/Eagle rod set from xjjunkie on this board.

Haven't decided on a cam yet.

CRASH

thanks for all the great ideas. im building up a 90's engine that i got from my uncle. its sitting in the garage waiting patciently for something to be done to it, but i dont have all the money yet, but i will be building it on the side. i plan on boring it out and ordering almost all new parts. the only thing that im wondering is will a stock head work good with a stroked engine?

the only thing that im wondering is will a stock head work good with a stroked engine?

It depends on the cam you use. I know of one such motor out there that is doing well. I run a stock sized valve set up (though I went to SS valves) but the springs, keepers, and retainers had to be swapped in from a magnum 360 application to handle the lift of the cam. I wish I would have gone to a 2.02 valve set up sometimes, but I do like the fact that my engine is still mostly Mopar (injectors are Ford motor sports, and rings are Chevy application but the rest is Mopar performance).

The magnum valve spring set up is not an exotic solution so it is readily available from the stealership.

A stock HO head flows plenty well for teh kind of RPM's a our engines see on a daily basis.

If you were racing, there would be room for improvement, like the large chevy valve conversion.

CRASH

Back