• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Issues

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 with the 4.0L. The issue I am having is that when the XJ sits any longer than an hour shut off and then I got to start it on the first turn of the key it will just crank until you let off the key. Then on the second turn of the key it starts right up. The cap/rotot/wires/plugs are all new. Anybody got any ideas? When this does happen I get an engine code and its always the same "Mis-fire on Cylinder #6". Never any other cylinders, just cylinder 6. Does something need to be reset. After the first key turn? I am looking for any ideas. TIA

Next time turn the key to on so that you can see the odometer, count to 30, one one thousand, two one thousand, etc, then go to start. If it fires right up it's the drainback valve on the fuel pump. It's loosing pressure, it's supposed to hold the pressure for quite a few hours.

thanks Rich, I'll have to try that. So ro replace it, I am probably going to have to change the whole fuel pump, huh?

Yup or live with it, to fix it correctly the pump has to come out which means drop the tank. I"ve had a faulty fuel gauge on my 98 for years now, darned if I'm going to spend the money just for that, I'm waiting for the damn pump to fail....
There is one other thing, something about a BMW check valve being put in the line, might want to search around on that one..

Back