• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flare paint job

Patrick

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried to paint the black fender flares on a 97' sport?
Mine look like crap. I'd like to try and paint them if it can be done, otherwise I'll replace them. Are there any reccommended replacement or aftermarket kits that look similar to the OEM flares?

You have the new style, and I am not aware of any aftermarket source for clones. However, yours can be painted. You could just buy a rattle can of something close to your color at Wal-Mart and shoot it on. However, the flares are semi-flexible and the paint might crack.

Professional auto paint shops put a "flex additive" into their paint for things like flares, bumper caps, etc. Most auto body supply stores can custom mix paint to match your color and put it into an aerosol can for you. Since they're mixing it, they can toss in some flex additive, too. It'll cost a bit more than a can of "Truck Red" from Wal-Mart, but it'll match, it'll be better paint, and it'll have the additive.

Also get a can of Prep-Sol for pre-wiping the flares just before painting. It'll remove any old wax, fingerprints, and other things that might not allow the paint to adhere.

The paint store should also be able to advise whether or not you need to prime flares before painting.

Back