• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issue

Broke

NAXJA Forum User
Steering issue...

I am wondering what is going on, I am trying to figure out why my jeep will not turn to its full radius. I did a D44 axle swap out of a 1980 J-10/widetrack cherokee. I do still have the factory steering gear box, 3" drop pitman arm, JCR 1-ton steering and was alined. I tested to see if iwas having any interference with anything by disconnecting the drag link, i was then able to turn the tires by hand to its full radius (where it should stop). So i am assuming there must be something wrong with my gear box. If it is my gear box would it make my turning unequal/ limited? finnaly what would be the best route to solve this headache?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
yes it does work great and you must have been diggin' for a while and thanks. So the way to fix it is to buy a waggy drop pitman arm. Well this sucks, i just bought the 3" drop hoping to solve the problem.. Which this brings up another point, I do not want to refer to some of these posts. I would prefer to find someone that has done a waggy swap this way I am not following the circle. I am livid about this steering issue and do not want to waste any more cash. I am told to do it one way and another person tells me to do it another way, but at the same time neither person has done what was stated...
Another issue i have been having was the tie rod rotates when i turn, so should the knuckles be changed out? The ford knuckles are narrower and flat-topped which are acceptable for high steer. This will also allow me to keep the pricey xj drop arm and eliminate the rotating tie rods. My friend is running a ford HD D44 and no issues with his turrning. So i guess to sum things all up I am asking what should be done since I am so frusterated that I cannot even think straight.

Thanks for your time~!

Last edited:
Back