• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which locker

NC4X4boy

NAXJA Forum User
Im intrested in buying lockers, but not sure exactly what to get. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport D30 front and Chrysler 8.25" rear, not sure of what spline, will try to find out (or if someone knows, go ahead and post) In advance thank you for all help that comes through.

your 8.25 is a 29 spline. we need more details. lifted? trailer queen or daily driver? Interested in going hardcore, or just a family camper? are you rich or poor?

hippymill said:
your 8.25 is a 29 spline. we need more details. lifted? trailer queen or daily driver? Interested in going hardcore, or just a family camper? are you rich or poor?

Its lifted 3", stock gears, 31s, DD and weekend trail/mud/rocks, not intrested in going SUPER hardcore, (gonna do a CJ for that) and as for money, i get money however i can, just save as i go.

No -slip

The best choice is the most expensive one. A selectable locker will cost much more than an automatic locker, but you get what you pay for. If money is no issue go with ARB or OX. If you are on a tight budget weld the rear and lunchbox the front.

powertrax no slip or detroit in the rear, trutrac in the front will get you nice road manners and still be way functional off road.

you could go ox locker in the front, but currently ox doesn't make a locker for the 8.25 unfortunetly. You could always put a detroit or similar in the back as i've heard that having a detroit in the back you will rarely notice its there.
Having the front being selectable is very important especially if your driving on the road.

Matt

My 2C, put a Detroit in the back, and front. I'm running two Detroit’s and rarely notice them. I do notice the rear at times when taking corners, but it’s really not that bad. As for the front when in 2 wheel drive you can't even tell its there. If I'm in 4x4 then I'm in a low traction environment anyways, in which case it rarely bothers me. As for a selectable, mine is selectable, it’s just my "ON" is labeled "4x4" and my "Off" is labeled "2x4".

Though I live in WA, where we rarely do any serious rocks so your mileage may very.

Low Budget = Powertrax No SLip or Detroit EZ Locker for the rear and Truetrac up front

Good Budget = Full Detriot locker in rear. The D30 has lots of choices. Auburn Ected, ARB, OX, etc

On a 29 spline 8.25, the Powertrax No-Slip is certainly the way to go. Affordable, strong, fairly mild mannered on the road. If you intend to hit snow/icy roads alot, your only real choice will be ARB.

For the front dana 30, I'd suggset an auburn ected or TruTrack limited slip.

-C

I'm think an OX locker for the rear of mine, and nothing in the front, with 33s, 4:56 and 4.5 RE lift.

Will I miss the front locker?

I've been a budget wheeler for years and never had a locker. Still, I was able to run the Con with a more-or-less stock FJ-55.

For me, an auto locker is a no-go. Winter time road ice where I live (1" thick) makes it impractical.

Give the choices for selectables, OX isnt a bad choice. It's got a strong diff cover built in, and seems to hold up, although you have to keep the cable well adjusted, or it can pop out of engagement while under stress. (Or so I have read many times, i havent seen it happen myself, yet.)

-C

Back