• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air not working correctly

Xjforme

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my air stop coming out of the vents in the front about 2 weeks ago. it comes out the top vent for the defrost but doesn't come out the front vents.

Any thoughts?

Xjforme said:
Ok, my air stop coming out of the vents in the front about 2 weeks ago. it comes out the top vent for the defrost but doesn't come out the front vents.

Any thoughts?
Judging from this post and the cruise control post I can almost 100% guarantee you you have a vacuum leak. Vacuum should control the vents and I believe the cruise as well(it does on older XJs anyway)

def a vaccume leak. check the ''ball'' under the bumper, passenger side... trace the lines up thru under the hood...

Ok here is a stupid question. I removed the front bumper a while back to replace it with an aftermarket off-road bumper. While doing that, there was a black ball bolted to the bumper that I just disconnected because I couldn't pull it off. What is this and what does it have to do with my issues?

Thanks,

Xjforme said:
Ok here is a stupid question. I removed the front bumper a while back to replace it with an aftermarket off-road bumper. While doing that, there was a black ball bolted to the bumper that I just disconnected because I couldn't pull it off. What is this and what does it have to do with my issues?

Thanks,

Sounds like the vac canister, You should have had problems right away after removing that. Im going through the whole a/c through the Defroster thing too right now, but I still have my canister hooked up.

Im going to trace all of my vac lines tonite to see if I can find the break.

Are you saying that your air worked even after you removed that canister? if so, that's weird.... to me at least.

Xjforme said:

Thanks,

Not to be an ass, but that didn't seem like a very bad idea to you? If you are working on something, and you come across something you don't know anything about, it really seems OK to just yank it out?

Don't do that again. It could be dangerous. Not so much with the vacuum bottle, but just that type of thinking. Ask the questions here before you do something like that. Searching on NAXJA will answer almost every question you can have about your XJ.

Again, I mean no offense. There are people here who will try to help with even the most basic questions.

I conquered the ac defroster default thing a few weeks ago. Tested and replaced alot of lines to and fro the vac bottle, and tested the ones behind the controller. It was the vacuum servo underneath the dash on the driver side to the right of the silver computer housing. The servo had two lines, one green and one blue. The lines checked out OK, but it was the blue port that wouldnt hold a vacuum. I attached a piece of tubing and plugged it off. The only difference I can see is a little less air on the bi level setting, if anything at all. Also my dealer parts guy sold me a check valve that was a recall fix for dodge rams. I put that right after the vac port on the intake.

I traced and found my A/C problem last night. I had a loose vac connection right at the firewall on the pass side. The A/C vac line hooks up to a vac T fitting, And I had a bad boot on the line. I replaced the boot and right away, I was blowing air out my vents again.

Now I just have to see if the bypass at WOT is still happening.

Back