• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube Notching

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
What is the easiest way to notch 3" tube? I have to build a platform scaffold unit for a theatrical set that is using 3" .120 wall HREW. I have a tube notcher on order from Pro Tools to notch the 2" I am using but am lost on the bigger stuff.

I remember once there was a templete you can draw onto the tube and cut it out with a plasma or oxy torch but I cant seem to find it. Also the computer and dial up internet I am currently using doesnt like searching very well. Can somebody help me find that please?

Thanks,

AARON

Do you have a chop saw? If so just cut the tube 2 times @ 30* to the center of the tube making a point on the side that's now notched and grind the points round and your tube is notched. I read an awesome thread on pirate about notching tube using this technique, tried it out and it works awesome. You may have to play around with the degree you cut at. I think the thread said anywhere from 23-30*. Mess around with it you'll figure it out, it's pretty straight forward. If you don't understand what i'm saying PM me and i'll try to explain it better.

RCP thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

OD using the chop saw is going to be a huge pain since the 3" tube is going to be 4' at the shortest. Its not going to work out so well trying to chop saw that. Thanks for the idea though. Maybe I will try that on the smaller tube.

AARON

Back