• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nitro or Hydro?

docboy209

NAXJA Forum User
I got a '98 XJ Sport with an almost totally stock suspension (have 1.5" lift shackles on rear to compensate for sag). It's my daily driver and it's pretty much a pavement pounder. I've been a Chrysler/Jeep tech now for 6 years, so I know all about oem parts, and how much they can suck. With 102K miles on it it's time to change all 4 shocks. I've got a Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer, and I'm very happy with the lack of death wobble :D . So I thought about going with their shocks. What's better for on-road driving with all the northeast potholes, Nitro or Hydro? Or do you guys reccommend another manufacturer?

Oh, BTW, I used to be known here as db209_2000. Long story.

Last edited:
I agree, I like the Old Man Emu for the road--no jarring on bumps at speed, and they handle off road well too. They are a nitro gas, and you can find them for about $79 apiece at quadretec. They are bullet proof.

Agreed. Rancho has a nice model in the RSX. Have seen them on ebay from 55-89. It supposedly is fairly plush on even straight roads and stiffens up on bumps and curves. Couldn't tell you if it's a "hydro or nitro" though, sorry. Good luck.

Back