• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tools to swap out ignition lock cylinder?

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
ok the ignition lock in the 87 finally went kaputz, problem is i have a jeep in my garage that i can't start so i was wondering does anybody know what tools are necessary to change out the ignition lock (besides a puller for the steering wheel).i am at my shop and was going to bring the tools home with me and driving back 30 mins from my house to where my toolbox is is kind of a hassle so if anyone knows i would really appreciate it btw it is the older gm style column

13/16 socket for the wheel nut
steering wheel puller
lock plate compresser
small pick and pocket screwdriver for the lock plate snap ring
#1 and #2 phillips head screwdriver** (for the hazard button and turn signal switch screws though the ts screws may be #30 torx)
#20 torx driver and/or #25 torx driver for the lock cylinder retaining pin.

**GM uses a screw head that looks alot like a phillips head, but is called a "posi-drive". It is identified by the 4 smaller flutes between the main 4 flutes in the screw head and the point of the driver is more rounded than a phillips head. phillips will work but slips easily. Not sure if they used them on the jeep columns or not. check this out: http://www.justbrits.com/pozi/pozidriv.html

Last edited:
Back