• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issues

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
I appoligize guys, I dont have time to search and I'm a bit desperate...

I cant go more then 40 down the road without the front end dangerously shaking. I dont know death wobble but I'm guessing this is it. I just did new ball joints and was told I also need a track bar.

I grabbed the bar that connects from the steering box to the passanger side corner (dont know technical name) and I can move it around freely by hand. Thats bad right? So is the track bar the first thing on the list that needs to be done? Whats all that other crap called?

And for some reason then I turned the corner onto my road today, my Jeep shut off. Ya, it just shut off. Why the hell would that happen? Help me out guys, I'm desperate and need this fixed before work tomorrow.

97XJ with 188K 4.0 2" Daystar BB

first the bar you grabbed in the draglink.you should be able to spin this back and forth a small ammount.the rod behind that that goes from under the steering box to the passenger side of the axle is the trackbar.the bushings on the trackbar could be shot

Check your fuel filter and lines. My 88 used to do the same thing when I would turn. The fuel filter was bad and the fuel line going to the filter from the tank was clogged w/ dirt. Just my .02 cents.

How's your steering stabilizer? It's the shock absorber loking thing attached between the right side of the axle and the drag link. They are known for leaking and causing this problem. If you've had the "updated" (smaller, and more useless) one installed, think about going aftermarket.

xjman88 said:
Check your fuel filter and lines. My 88 used to do the same thing when I would turn. The fuel filter was bad and the fuel line going to the filter from the tank was clogged w/ dirt. Just my .02 cents.

2 weeks ago I dropped the tank and backwashed the filter with 140PSI and gas a few times. Because its in the tank no parts store sells a new one. I dropped it because it was sputtering, but hadn't just died before. So I'm at a loss right now, I can drive it if its shaking, but I cant drive it if it's dying all the time.

To xjman88, The '97 and up XJs don't have an external filter. They rely totally on the sock filter attached to the bottom of the pump module. I found no service bulletins on the stalling concern. After you restarted the engine, was the check engine light on?

So I made a mad dash to VIP and got a new track bar for $50. I have it almost in, but the bottom bolt had to be cut out. And at 9pm no one that sells metric grade 8's is open. So on my way to the auction tomorrow I'll have to pick one up.

I'll deal with the stallin issue later i guess

So the new track bar and a used but better condition tire, and rocks removed from the rim made it a little better. now I have and appointment for an alignment tomorrow.

Back