• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will it work?

zjgun

NAXJA Forum User
alright
so i bought a rustys 5.5inch advanced lift kit for my grand cherokee. problem is i now have to sell it. I just recently bought a 1986 jeep cherokee. It has a 4cyl and a manual transmission. I am told this jeep has beefy axles and would make a great trail rig. i also recieved a 1993 4.0 HO for free that doesnt have a radiator, doors, or a front end (but the engine is still good. i am going to use this vehicle as a parts vehicle since the older one has a manual transmission and beefy axles. Will the lift kit i bought for the zj work on the xj if i convert the rear to coil springs instead of leaf springs? Will i still get 5.5 inches of lift? Could the 1986 xj be a good trail vehicle? I was told it has a dana44.
What do you guys think?
any help would be great:wave1:

the 86 has a disconnect D30 in front and likely a D35 in the rear. 35s are junk stock axles let alone for wheeling

the 4.0 straight 6 won't fit in the 86 without a LOT of front end modifications.

XJs didn't get a 4.0 -or- a D44 until ' 87

In all... no, 86s don't generally make a good trail rig.

i found out that it is not an 86. it does have a dana44 but i dont know what year it is. the 4.0 will not work? i have two jeeps one a 1993 4.0 and a 1986 4cyl

if it is an 86 and it has a rear 44 then it was swapped out,

I was under the impression that you wanted to put the 4.0 in the 86 body...it won't fit. the cherokee body was changed in 87 to accommodate the 4.0

zjgun said:
Will the lift kit i bought for the zj work on the xj if i convert the rear to coil springs instead of leaf springs? Will i still get 5.5 inches of lift?
I think you would net about 6.5" of lift in the front if you used those springs maybe more since you have a 4 cylinder. The rear would be a PITA to convert!

Back