• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine with AW4 used in vehicle with AX-15

XJeremy23

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this has been covered but I do not have time to search because I am on my lunch break at work. Please bear with me. I found a 93 at my local pull it yourself yard that was rolled. The 4.0L in the vehicle looks in good shape still with lower miles. The rolled cherokee has an AW4 in it. I am thinking about pulling the engine and putting it in my 89 with an AX-15. I know the differences about the Renix versions and the post 91 "HO" versions so I would get the computer and everything I would need to convert over to the "HO" version. My concern is the difference between the automatic tranny and the manual. It seems I have heard somewhere that the output shaft is longer on the engines that had an auto behind it. Also, is there a difference in the computer for the auto and manual versions? Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

P.S. I prefer driving vehicles with manual trannies.

Yes it is an AX-15. Jeep started using the AX-15 in mid 89 so it is more commonly found in 90 and newer. Mine was manufactured in May of 89 which still makes it an 89 but right after they started using the AX-15. Trust me I ran the numbers and did my research to make sure.

Last edited:
you didnt wait very long to give up, nor did you do any searching at all.

the engine is the same.

Sorry didn't mean to sound impatient. I was just trying to get some quick answers while I'm at work. My computer at home is not working at the moment. I will spend time to research when I get the chance.

There's no "output shaft" on the engine proper - the difference is that the auto has a "flexplate" for the torque converter to bolt to, and that the manual has a "flywheel" for the clutch to bolt to.

The reason for the lightweight plate in the auto is because the flywheel mass is made up for by the construction of the torque converter, and fluid in it (about a gallon and a half, I'm thinking.)

You should have no more trouble than the regular RENIX/HO swap.

What's wrong with your home computer? And, what do you plan to do with the RENIX electronics? I'm working on RENIX projects...

5-90

Thanks 5-90. I may be mistaken on my info or using the wrong terminology about the shaft. It just seems I remember vaguely something about the amount of crank shaft that sticks out is longer on the engines with flexplates bolted to them than the ones that have flywheels bolted to them. Does that make sense? Maybe it is something I just dreamed up. lol. My mechanical abilities are fair and I'm not the Most knowledgable when it comes to the workings of the engine and drivetrain, but I am learning and I'm a good student. My father is a former mechanic and will be helping with the swap if I do it. Not sure what is wrong with my home computer, something with the modem possibly. I have a friend coming to look at it soon. If I do end up doing the swap I would get rid of the Renix electronics. I'll keep you in mind if/when that time comes.

As far as I know, there isn't a difference between crankshafts for automatics and those for sticks - and I've certainly never seen any notation in any of the catalogues I've been through (and I've been through MANY...)

I can cover shipping if you need me to - just let me know when you get the swap done.

You do run into issues when swapping driveline components - especially transmissions/transfer cases, because there were no less than FOUR transmission output shafts, as I recall. However, the forward end should be the same - and since you aren't "changing the engine" (like pulling a 258 in favour of the 242,) I'm inclined to think it's a non-issue. I know there was some goofiness to be handled when putting a 258 crank in a 242 (something to do with the pilot diameter,) but that was it.

5-90

I just had a thought. Maybe it is the input shaft of the transmission that is different length. But that shouldn't be a problem if I'm still using the same clutch and flywheel setup, right? I'm getting ready to leave work so I will not be on the site again until tommorrow. Thanks for the advice 5-90 and I will get back to you on that.
To everyone else I am sorry if it seemed like I was being an A$$.

You should only need to change/install the pilot bushing - other than that, it should not matter.

MAKE SURE you put a pilot bushing in there - having the pilot running around loose can cause trouble with the input bearing in the transmission! No sense in letting yourself in for extra work...

5-90

Should bolt right up. Just need to swap the flywheel, clutch setc over. The crank should be the same and have the bore for a new pilot bearing already.

Back