• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Crazy...urgent need help!!!

vajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
OK so yesterday i looked at my oil pressure yesterday and it is fluxuating from 0 to 40 psi when im at a idle its 0 and at 1500 RPM's the pressure is at 40...i really need help with this one...anyone???

either replace the oil pressure sending unit, or go to autozone and buy a oil/trans pressure tester.

take out the pressure sending unit, install the tester and run the hose with the gauge up to the windshield. start it up and see what it reads. most likely it's your sending unit or the wire connected to it.

is there any chance that it could be the oil pump or r u sure its the sending unit...and how much is a sending unit?

you want to figure it out as soon as possible incase there is actually a oil pressure problem.

but the wacky gauge is relatively common. i've seen it on almost every xj i've ever been around at one point and time. in my cause it was the connecter that was loose. on my friends Xj it was a bad sensor, and so on and so forth.

if you want to make sure, then get the tester like i said above.

if you want to go with what works 90% of the time then just buy a new sending unit. go to www.autozone.com and look up the price there.

a whacked out oil pressure sending unit is the typical culprit for that problem.

replace it and be worry-free!

All the oil pump is is two gears that turn and move oil, I was taught to call them IMO's for I move oil. They will pump at inifinate pressure, we used them to charge 50000lb hydraulics for our stern planes, rudder and fairwater planes. The pressure is regulated by the size of the tubes, how fast it passes thru the motor, etc, if it gets too high from say a filter clogged or plugged the bypass kicks in to bypass the filter. Your 40lbs is not high but from your description I'd first clean the contacts on the plug, then if that does not fix it get a new sender. Also make sure they sell you the correct sender, there are two types, a sender and a switch type for the idiot light.

I had the same problem on my '87. 0psi @ idle & low RPM cruize, also noticed that the oil pressure would go up when I let off the gas. Replaced the inaccurate factory setup with a mechanical Autometer gague (45$). Now I KNOW what my oil pressure is. 130,000mi motor 10psi @ hot idle (400-500RPM)& 40psi by 2000RPM.

FYI 10 psi per 1000RPM is plenty good.

thanks fellas, think im gonna go and get the sender and put it in today...that is if all this rain rains out work...but as to where i live xjtrailrider... live in bristol right on the tennessee line...

Vajeeper

Right by your oil filter where it screwsin, it's the long thin stubby thinger with the wires on the end..about 3" long or so...

vajeeper said:
thanks fellas, think im gonna go and get the sender and put it in today...that is if all this rain rains out work...but as to where i live xjtrailrider... live in bristol right on the tennessee line...

Vajeeper
Been there several times for the Mopar Nationals.

vajeeper I'm to far away to help in person, about 2 1/2 hrs from Bristol to Roanoke. That sender is threaded into the block next to or above the filter/adaptor. Should be a plug in connector attached with a couple of wires. Make sure you use some Teflon(Don't go to heavy with the tape or the sensor won't read due to bad ground) pipe tape on the threads when you put the new one(sender) in to prevent a future leak. You can test your oil pressure at this same port if you still have problems with the pressure after trying a new sender. From my experiance the sender is most likely the problem though.

Last edited:
when i take the sender out to put the new one in do i need to plug the hole or will no oil come out because the pumps not activated?

Back