• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel injector cleaner?

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
What's a good fuel injector cleaner?
All the fuel injector cleaners I've used past and present never seem like they actually worked.

what oil do you run?/what weight?

I think most people on here would tell you to run a bottle of Techron. You add it to your tank, make sure you get the 20 oz bottle since it 1 ounce/gallon of fuel. Techron is manufactured by Chevron and the 20 oz will run about $10.

If you are thinking injector cleaing you may also want to have you throttle body cleaned. I use to have the throttle body on my 86 mustang cleaned every 30K miles.

The best place to look for which oil to use is the owner's manual. My 88 XJ owner's manual says to use:

5W-30 60F and below
10W-30 0F and above

Now the vehicle companies and the American Petrolium Institute say:

5W-30 all temps
10W-30 0F and above

Here an info card from API which explains what to look for on a bottle of oil. http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF2AD.pdf

I recommend you look at the API Service Symbol on the bottle and buy a oil that is rated for both Gasoline (S) and Diesel (C) engines. There are additional characteristics in C oil which will help you engine. Since oil runs about the same price at the store buy the one with the C rating.

I personally use 10W-30 and don't burn any oil. My XJ has 147,000 miles on it. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil 20,000 miles ago and did not have any problems.

The rear main seal is prone to leaking in the 4.0 engine. Before I switched to Syntheric I had changed in valve cover gasket, the oil filter mount O rings, the oil pan gasket, and replaced the oil filler cap on the valve cover. I took the chance on the rear main seal leaking and I lucked out.

For some reason the brand of oil someone uses is taken very persoanlly so choose a brand of oil you are confident in.

The Chevron Techron is good stuff, as for the throttle body you can do it two ways, one is to run the enging with the plastic intake tube off and spray it out with a spray cleaner, I use the gold valvoline because of it's angled spray tube. Run it because you don't want to get any of the cleaner on or in those sensor holes. The cleaner is not plastic friendly.
Second method is to disconnect all the wires, mark em ot take a picture, remove the throttle body and take it inside, remove the sensors and clean it on the workbench.
Another injector cleaner method is from 3M, it's a kit that consists of a hose and adapters, kind of like an AC recharge kit and you use a can of combination fuel and cleaner. You disconnect the fuel line, pull the fuel pump fuse and fire the engine up letting it run for about 20 min till the can empties out. First bite will be around $90 or so, extra cans are about $25 ea. My neighbor has one so I just buy the cans and borrow it.

I also use Mobil-1 on my 98XJ

thanks for your help.

the chevron is great stuff, no problem with it at all. but one that is better is made by BG it's called 44. very hard to find, not for resale, need to find a BG dealer and get from them. it's not cheap either, like $18.00 afor 8 oz. awsome stuff though. another good product is called seafoam.

scot

I have used the seafoam, NAPA carries it here. Used it on my sons caddy to clean the carbon out of the throttle body injectors and in the gas tank. Worked OK, his milage went backup 2mpg. Only qualifier is that I'm leery of a product that you can use in all the places they say it's good for, sounds too much like snake oil but it does work, $4 a can or so. :D

I second the BG-44 cleaner. It is hands down the best stuff I have ever used. It not only will clean the injectors but also remove carbon buildup from the combustion chamber. It isn't cheap but it is well worth it. I run a can through each of my vehicles every 10K miles.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

thanks

Back