• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Oil

Mike from Chile

NAXJA Forum User
I post this question here as its supposed to be answered considering high performance jeeping..

What is your experience of Brand and type of Engine oil to be used in hot climate jeeping (XJ 2000 - 60.000 miles)

Quaker State is not very common here but, considering I found a distributor, would like to know if 10W50 Performance is a high quality or not when compared to Shell , Mobil or Castrol.

Tks

During the summers here it gets up to about 113 degrees, and during that part of the year, I usually run 20W50. I prefer Castrol GTX, but I've hears they're all the same if they're conventional. I prefer Synthetic anything pretty much and run it sometimes, but not always because of how expensive it is.

I run Castrol GTX or the Castrol synth-blend in my 96, which is at 153,000 now. That's pretty much all I ran in my 89 XJ from when I got it at 75,000 to when I sold it at ~180,000 (one of these days I'll pick an oil and stay with it)

For the first ten or 12 years I ran only Pennzoil 10W40 in my '88. Pennzoil used to be a clear, golden/amber color when new, almost like honey. Then Pennzoil merged with Quaker State, and something happened. If you look at either Quaker State or Pennzoil now, even new out of the bottle it looks dirty. Amalie is a better conventional oil, IMHO, but very difficult to find.

That's part of the reason I changed to synthetic. The other reason was to run a longer interval between oil changes. I went to Mobil-1 and ran 10W30 in Winter and 15W50 in summer. (By the way, I had 175,000 miles -- not kilometers -- on the odometer when I switched.)

Then I discovered that Castrol offers a 5W50 in their full synthetic, and that Castrol is the OEM oil for Volkswagen and Porsche. So I now run Castrol 5W50 in everything except the newest, which is a 2000 XJ that is not broken in enough yet to switch to synthetic. In that one I run Castrol conventional oil, 5W30 per factory recommendations. In very hot summer conditions I would run 10W40.

Mike, for you I would recommend the Castrol synthetic, either 5W50 or 10W50.

I have had very good results from Castrol 20w50 GTX..been using it for years. I run 5w30 Mobile 1 synthetic in my race motors because it's worth a few more horsepower...

10W30 Mobil-1 in my 98 with 180,000+ miles on it, I stay the same weight all year, summers in pennsylvania are generally 80-90F. I know you are in chile but up here the walmarts carry Mobil-1 in 5 quart containers and at a reduced price, works out to US $3.24 a quart vs US $4.89 if bought in quart bottles. If I had a garage to keep it in I would investigate a 25 gallon drum.

Back