• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
all right I got one for you salty bastards- Its a newb question but i searched so dont flame me. Other than ground clearance why go to bigger tires? yeah bigger tires are kewl but what are the benefits?

I would argue that the only reasons for larger tires (besides looks) are:
Primarily:
Ground Clearance and rolling resistance for obstacles (the larger the tire the easier it is to go over larger obstacles due to the larger diameter).

Secondarily:
The larger the tire, the heavier the tire, there for the Lower the CG of the vehicle.

entry/departure angle, break over angle, all have more to do with lift height. Not to say they do not change with tire size, but they are more related to total lift than tires specifically.

Michael

sjan said:
MUCH MORE TRACTION IN SAND--LESS LIKELY YOU'LL GET STUCK--DIAMETER IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN WIDTH

Lay down the crack pipe and back slowly away!
You obviously have never been in sand other than the playbox out back. A wider tire will float over sand, and a narrow tire will sink. I will also disagree with the diameter statement, for sand. If the tires are tall enough to keep the undercarriage out of the sand then making them taller is a waste of motion and money.
s was said also, in rocks, or mud, the taller tires are for ground clearance.

Back